• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Weird round peppers? Look like tomatoes? Turning lighter green?

So here's a shot of a pepper I have growing that I can't figure out.  At first I figured it was a bell due to it's non-long shape...but as they continue to grow they're not looking like bells anymore.  They're starting to lighten up and get almost yellowy.  I will take some more pics tonight and add them to this thread, but they don't have those typical curves that Bell peppers have.

Mystery pepper

IMAG3333_zps1456e009.jpg

Bells

IMAG3303_zps7ebf9a58.jpg

I was gonna say some kind of Cherry or maybe even a Cascabel...either way, both are good....

Here's another example.  I took a video and uploaded it a few weeks ago and there's a good shot of the Peppers in question.

I focus on them at :25 seconds in.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Td2dvcGtM&list=UU4YCmWIL80vuRyQuQj7XQIQ[/youtube]

Crap, lemme figure out the Youtube links here

Ok, so they're probably just mini bells.

Question...when should I be picking these babies?  I took a few jalapenos off yesterday because I needed them for a recipe (That was fun) but I'm curious to know what's ideal for the health of the plant, harvest numbers, etc?  Like, if I remove a pepper now, will the plant have more energy to grow other ones?

pods look great to me...one thing I did notice in your video is IMO those plants need some Cal/Mag or just plain epsom salt...they need to green up...and when they start fruiting they can use a lot of cal/mag...

AlabamaJack said:
pods look great to me...one thing I did notice in your video is IMO those plants need some Cal/Mag or just plain epsom salt...they need to green up...and when they start fruiting they can use a lot of cal/mag...
Yeah?  Ok, I'm kind of new to the ferts thing.  What's an easy one-stop method for getting some/where do I get that sort of thing?

go to the nearest hydroponics store and get some Cal/Mag plus (Botanicare product) or something similar then follow the instructions on the label...or go the store and buy a bag of epsom salts...that's MgSO4...mix about a tablespoon with a quart to half gallon to a gallon of water, how ever strong you want it...and give the plants a shot...the epsom salts should green them up a bit, but the cal/mag will give them more of a boost

Yea, not hot cherry as everyone said.  Any hot cherry pepper I have ever grown has always pointed straight up.  The stems on them are also very big

I have quite a few peppers that were supposed to be one thing and turned out to be something else, it can be a bummer at times, but always next year.  cheers

Buzzman19 said:
 Any hot cherry pepper I have ever grown has always pointed straight up. 

Right...I had forgotten that...it's been a long time since I grew hot cherries

AlabamaJack said:
go to the nearest hydroponics store and get some Cal/Mag plus (Botanicare product) or something similar then follow the instructions on the label...or go the store and buy a bag of epsom salts...that's MgSO4...mix about a tablespoon with a quart to half gallon to a gallon of water, how ever strong you want it...and give the plants a shot...the epsom salts should green them up a bit, but the cal/mag will give them more of a boost
I actually think there's a Hydoponics store on my way home.  I'll swing by and see what they have.

I couldn't just get it at Home Depot, could I?

HD down here don't carry the Botanicare stuff...that's hydro only...and be prepared...their stuff is expensive but goes a long way...I think a quart is the smallest they sell...

AlabamaJack said:
HD down here don't carry the Botanicare stuff...that's hydro only...and be prepared...their stuff is expensive but goes a long way...I think a quart is the smallest they sell...
Will it last a long time/does it go bad?  I'll definitely use it, and if it goes a long way that's even better...but I'll likely be using most of it next year.

will last for year is an cool environment...doesn't ever go bad...

AlabamaJack said:
will last for year is an cool environment...doesn't ever go bad...
Ok, cool.  WIll look into this tonight!  I've really slacked on nutes for these plants I have to admit.  They're probably somewhat stunted as a result, but I admit I wanted to just use water and see how far I could take them on my maiden voyage.  

samcanadian said:
Ok, so they're probably just mini bells.

Question...when should I be picking these babies?  I took a few jalapenos off yesterday because I needed them for a recipe (That was fun) but I'm curious to know what's ideal for the health of the plant, harvest numbers, etc?  Like, if I remove a pepper now, will the plant have more energy to grow other ones?

There's probably another name for them besides bell, or they could just be crosses.  Ask the seed source what they think.

Pick them once they completely reach their final color, or nearly so.  Picking a full grown pepper won't give the plant much more energy, at that point all the energy was already spent per that pod getting larger and you're just waiting for enzymes to ripen it.  The only hit on the plant is minor at keeping it hydrated but that's a good thing, or if you have too many growing at once it can bend or break stems, especially if it gets windy.

Back