• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well this is odd...

My largest and most productive TS Butch T has already given me a nice harvest of beautiful red pointy tailed peppers, just like it's supposed to.  Now it's putting out a second flush of peppers, which is great...I think.  This second bunch appears to have mysteriously changed type on me. 

The peppers it's putting out now are orange (like a habanero) and have, for the most part, lost their tails.  Huh?  :eh:  Still hot as the Sun, but waaayyy different shape and color.  Anyone else seen this happen?

-Bill  

Interesting. I don't have an answer, other than it seems the cross eventually comes out in all of them. I had a bell pepper plant that made typical bells one year, and banana type peppers the following year.

Yes.  That has happened to me with TS BT.  I'm not growing them now because I'm not fond of their taste.  But, I did note when I grew them that there was a noted diversity in the pod shapes on the same plant.

i have had it happen with many different plants, i think sometimes there is something that triggers one part of the hybrid to come out, in shape, color, etc , could be changes that occur in weather, nutes or who knows , then the next wave will be fine

if your not selling, no worries if you doing it for hobby , eat drink and be merry

This has happened to me the past two years. Mainly only effecting the superhots. I think it has to do with the cooler temps and amount of sunlight. At this time of year. As that's when it's always affected mine.

It happens when the weather gets cooler. As i recall, in the community grow thread for the reaper people had the same problem last winter - little smooth habanero-like fruit. Same happened with my carribean red. If you OW, when the weather gets favorable again your plants will give regular pods.

Yeah I kinda thought it was weather related.  Funny how it can trigger something in the genes.  

I will be overwintering this, I guess all will be back to normal next Spring.

Thanks folks!
:)

Is it getting colder and darker. I have habs and giant 7 pods that go from large pepper to tiny pumpkin shaped things for any pods started in October-March, then back to normal.

This is what my last picked red bhuts, looked like this year. No where near usual shape. Dang this is a big pic, lol.

CAM00008-1-1.jpg

Back