• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Well Water pH

solid7 said:
While I appreciate that you take the high road in a public forum, I'd invite you also to point out where I'm misinformed.

The words I posted are black and white. Somebody needs to tell the Universities of Iowa and Alabama that their data is incorrect, if indeed they've published false findings.

I'm not sure the "real deal" was you or the other guy, but if certain members around here make statements with impunity, and are beyond reproach, somebody forgot to tell me.
My statement of being misinformed was not my opinion of your stance on the subject, but was intended more as the better choice of words that could have been used by Dave2000s to express his view of your statement.

CAPCOM said:
My statement of being misinformed was not my opinion of your stance on the subject, but was intended more as the better choice of words that could have been used by Dave2000s to express his view of your statement.
Fair enough.

I actually prefer letting people show their true colors, but I respect your stance, nonetheless.

solid7 said:
Just stick to your guns. I'll be fine with that. I don't get hurt feelings.

Actually read the study that I posted. I dare you. If it doesn't hurt your pride too much. ;)

I know that that them thar studies is conducted by a bunch a' know nuthin' coluj keds... but the science matches my own experience. Therefore, I suspect that it might be true.  :mouthonfire:
If you understood studies you would understand that you, I, or anyone can craft a study to align with any agenda.

If you actually HAD experience, which you most definitely do not in this, you'd know the same as I do, having grown for decades using eggshells that I wasn't anally retentive about crushing.

Perhaps you should enlighten yourself with a simple google search about using eggshells, since you obviously do not have any experience using them.

That's the problem with ignorant people, they read some crap on the internet, memorize it and think they're knowledgeable when they didn't TEST it.

I have not only tested it but proven it for decades. Do the google search though, because for a link or two you might try to use to defend your position, there are at least a few hundred thousand that support my position. You can probably find two or three links that suggest it's important to wear a tin foil hat too, so should we all do it?

Sorry, no, you are stupid. Ignorance is not knowing. Stupid is insisting you are right when you're ignorant.

Bottom line: If you're so foolish to ignore over 100 years of evidence that egg shells work without some kind of masochist detail involved, then it's your problem. I laugh because IT WORKS FINE FOR ME.

IF a grower is like some kind of heroin junkie who can't think past a day let alone a few weeks, then sure, eggshells break down too slow to fix that chaos. People with that mindset have bigger problems...

CAPCOM said:
At some point I feel it is good to exercise freedom of speech. With that in mind, nobody should have to spend an excessive amount of time to argue with someone who is misinformed yet refusing to do their own research.

This is not some debatable topic. It's ludicrous how many decades and millions of people successfully use egg shells without any anal retentive processing as a source of calcium. Only an ignorant young fool wouldn't realize this and argue against it.

History. No matter how special you think you are, you can't disprove over 100 years of success.

Hahahahaha!!!

The Real Deal! Do you prefer "Mr. Real Deal", or "Real Deal, sir"?

I laughed so hard at those replies that I hurt my pancreas. :D

I've really got to work on that... I'm always laughing at people I should feel sorry for. O_O

And for other breaking stories around the glode, stay tuned for new developments brought to you live as they unfold. We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

^ so you're admitting that you're stupid? It's okay, I've been stupid in the past too, BUT NOT ABOUT THIS.
OP says he is worried about PH of his plants *in pots*, and you decide that the best option is to bury whole eggshells in there. (after I initially agree with you over another member, but with the caveat that the particle size makes a difference) When I post a strategy for immediate and sustained PH altering and calcium leeching, you write 10 page manifestos about the importance of crushing eggshells into large pieces, so that they are still breaking down in a few decades. Then, you go on to claim the unwavering support of the masses, while proclaiming that any dissent from you, is blasphemy. Nevermind that you failed to put the entire discussion into *context*. Then the carrying on about agendas, while claiming your own scientific superiority, only to have you tell the world that the answer lies not in a published research paper, but a simple Google search. (because millions of people with internet access can't be wrong)

No, this is pretty much what it is. And I'm not the type to tell everyone that "I'm right - just ask me". So this conversation is over. Continue to make yourself look silly, if you like. You are now talking to yourself. Go. :)

^ Please publish those 10 page manifestos. We can sell them as a book.

This was about eggshells as a source of calcium or a minor pH balancer. It works, without a lot of fuss, if someone merely plans ahead. You made more of a fuss than actually doing it. Irony.

I didn't write that "the best option is to bury whole eggshells", but clearly you would like to twist things to suit your argument.

Again with you it's about ego, winning an argument, not about the information. That's a disservice to the community.

Edit: To clarify, I thought that it was obvious enough, didn't need mentioned that everyone mixes their soil ingredients whether it be fertilizer, compost, pearlite, egg shells, coffee grounds, whatever. If someone just throws each ingredient in, in it's own pile, they might be a lost cause.

Brocoli said:
I've just been using liquid ferts lately. Mostly Neptunes Harvest, DynaGro Grow, and Foxfarm Big Bloom, but I dont use them every watering. I usually use ferts once a week. Will those raise the pH? I've also heard leaving water out will neutralize the pH a bit more, but itd be hard to leave enough water out once summer hits.

Just when I uppot I am going to mix 4:1 Promix:Happy frog or something similiar. I may add mushroom compost or some seaweed/crab shell compost. Havent decided on all I want to mix yet, or even what is available to me.

I wouldn't bother with Fox Farms' stuff. I know Pex swears by it, but it's easy enough to make something as good or better yourself, and they're VERY expensive.

f**k egg shells. f**k squid kelp compost or what ever else.

calcium nitrate and get on with your life.
Or use what you have... It's harder to find calcium nitrate than it is to find eggshells, and they work every bit as well.

Not everyone raises gardens like they're banging out a quickie. For some, the experience of growing and learning from it is every bit as rewarding as the end product. (it's therapeutic)

Yours is a viable option, but no need for righteous indignation.

solid7 said:
Or use what you have... It's harder to find calcium nitrate than it is to find eggshells, and they work every bit as well.

Not everyone raises gardens like they're banging out a quickie. For some, the experience of growing and learning from it is every bit as rewarding as the end product. (it's therapeutic)

Yours is a viable option, but no need for righteous indignation.

the quarreling over the details of eggshell crushing is enough to ward off the average gardener.

at a like 1-2 dollars  a lb on amazon... id say calcium nitrate is more than a viable option, its the preferred one.  for all the organic platitudes about soil ecology and holistic systems and what ever else... fact remains you and i do exactly the same thing, only i do it with substantially  more precision.

regarding OP's original concern about PH... this is not an issue usually. im guessing with a PH that low you have very low alkalinity water... adding anything to this well water will probably neutralize most of the acidity.  its like adding a drop of mineral acid to a bottle of distilled water. yes it will drop the ph alot... but there is still almost 0 acid in there. a flake of bicarbonate will neutralize it easily.

btw, plants can naturally regulate ph in the immediate areas around their roots to some extent. this is not the case in water culture(hydroponics with water only), but it in soil and soilless cultures to some extent. a lightly acidic environment is not a huge issue for toms, peppers and pretty much anything else one might want to grow with the exception of some berries?  i believe black berries and brush berried in general need fairly acidic soil conditions.
\
its worth noting however... that with water that acidic(and possibly low alkalinity), i highly reccomend you get a proper test done... LSI index, corrosivity etc, this well water could possibly take years off of your plumbing. is there alot of sulfur in this water? sulfur smell? hydrogen sulfide?

the quarreling over the details of eggshell crushing is enough to ward off the average gardener.
Yeah, I know, but like the quote in the sig says...

at a like 1-2 dollars  a lb on amazon... id say calcium nitrate is more than a viable option, its the preferred one.  for all the organic platitudes about soil ecology and holistic systems and what ever else... fact remains you and i do exactly the same thing, only i do it with substantially  more precision.
Right no quarrel. 2 ways to reach the same destination. But Amazon doesn't happen in real time. (I love Amazon.com, by the way)

I prefer methods that don't require precision, but this isn't an argument about conventional vs organic growing. Let's just let it be noted that there are options, and leave it at that. Again.

Wicked Mike said:

I wouldn't bother with Fox Farms' stuff. I know Pex swears by it, but it's easy enough to make something as good or better yourself, and they're VERY expensive.
I got it on sale and wanted to see if the hype was real. I didnt get a real chance to check it out last year, we'll see this year

queequeg152 said:

regarding OP's original concern about PH... this is not an issue usually. im guessing with a PH that low you have very low alkalinity water... adding anything to this well water will probably neutralize most of the acidity.  its like adding a drop of mineral acid to a bottle of distilled water. yes it will drop the ph alot... but there is still almost 0 acid in there. a flake of bicarbonate will neutralize it easily.

btw, plants can naturally regulate ph in the immediate areas around their roots to some extent. this is not the case in water culture(hydroponics with water only), but it in soil and soilless cultures to some extent. a lightly acidic environment is not a huge issue for toms, peppers and pretty much anything else one might want to grow with the exception of some berries?  i believe black berries and brush berried in general need fairly acidic soil conditions.
\

its worth noting however... that with water that acidic(and possibly low alkalinity), i highly reccomend you get a proper test done... LSI index, corrosivity etc, this well water could possibly take years off of your plumbing. is there alot of sulfur in this water? sulfur smell? hydrogen sulfide?
Would I add Calcium Nitrate each water? Dont want my water locking out nutes to my plants.

Thats cool, I wonder if the roots could regulate the ph in aeroponics.

I'll look into a test, I am just renting the house for awhile.

solid7 said:

Right no quarrel. 2 ways to reach the same destination. But Amazon doesn't happen in real time. (I love Amazon.com, by the way)

I prefer methods that don't require precision, but this isn't an argument about conventional vs organic growing. Let's just let it be noted that there are options, and leave it at that. Again.
Are egg shells finely crushed an option for my planned soil? I like options.

Brocoli said:
I got it on sale and wanted to see if the hype was real. I didnt get a real chance to check it out last year, we'll see this year

Would I add Calcium Nitrate each water? Dont want my water locking out nutes to my plants.

Thats cool, I wonder if the roots could regulate the ph in aeroponics.

I'll look into a test, I am just renting the house for awhile.

Are egg shells finely crushed an option for my planned soil? I like options.

LOL. if you are renting... and i hate to be an asshole here, but if you are renting its not your problem. you might mention it to your land lord, but if hes an asshole i wouldnt. my old landlord was real cool and i even consider him a friend... i fixed all sorts of shit for him, but if i didnt like a landlord i wouldnt lift a finger unless you have old copper pipes or something ( lead leaching).

in all likely hood its NOT an issue, but the possibility is always there depending on age, pipe material and water chemistry.

a real well water test is only like 75 bucks + the test kit. you can get crazy testing for all sorts of shit like pesticides and organic solvents... radioneuclides, but a basic test is usually less than 100 bucks, AND alot of water treatment companies will do one for free... but i would not trust their tests. they want to sell you equipment to fix water quality issues.

regarding calcium nitrate... you can do it every watering, but if you are putting plants INTO the groud, this does not really make sense unless you are fertigating or using some other means to inejct fertilizer into your irrigation water.

in your situation you would want either a general field dressed slow release(CRF) or an immediate release regular fertilizer.  the immediate release stuff is usually just a prilled salt thats designed to be spread onto row with a machine. think lawn fertilizer... its immediatly available to plants and soil, but you would need to re apply it every 4 weeks maby depending on your situation.

yara makes two calcium nitrate formulations... one is called calcinit. its very pure, with very little if any ammoia. this is made for fertigation... the prills are very small, and the product is very pure, so once its dissolved there is no residual dust or cloudyness etc.

the other is called yara tropicote. "cote" makes you think its a slow release, but its not, its a larger prill thats less pure and it has more ammonia for slow release.  its cheaper and its better suited for field broadcasting or incorporation into the soil.

if you want to incorporate into soil or someother, get the tropicote, its supposed to be cheaper, and the small amount of ammonia will give you some long lasting nitrogen, though ammonium uptake can acidify soil a bit.

queequeg152 said:

LOL. if you are renting... and i hate to be an asshole here, but if you are renting its not your problem. you might mention it to your land lord, but if hes an asshole i wouldnt. my old landlord was real cool and i even consider him a friend... i fixed all sorts of shit for him, but if i didnt like a landlord i wouldnt lift a finger unless you have old copper pipes or something ( lead leaching).

in all likely hood its NOT an issue, but the possibility is always there depending on age, pipe material and water chemistry.

a real well water test is only like 75 bucks + the test kit. you can get crazy testing for all sorts of shit like pesticides and organic solvents... radioneuclides, but a basic test is usually less than 100 bucks, AND alot of water treatment companies will do one for free... but i would not trust their tests. they want to sell you equipment to fix water quality issues.

regarding calcium nitrate... you can do it every watering, but if you are putting plants INTO the groud, this does not really make sense unless you are fertigating or using some other means to inejct fertilizer into your irrigation water.

in your situation you would want either a general field dressed slow release(CRF) or an immediate release regular fertilizer.  the immediate release stuff is usually just a prilled salt thats designed to be spread onto row with a machine. think lawn fertilizer... its immediatly available to plants and soil, but you would need to re apply it every 4 weeks maby depending on your situation.

yara makes two calcium nitrate formulations... one is called calcinit. its very pure, with very little if any ammoia. this is made for fertigation... the prills are very small, and the product is very pure, so once its dissolved there is no residual dust or cloudyness etc.

the other is called yara tropicote. "cote" makes you think its a slow release, but its not, its a larger prill thats less pure and it has more ammonia for slow release.  its cheaper and its better suited for field broadcasting or incorporation into the soil.

if you want to incorporate into soil or someother, get the tropicote, its supposed to be cheaper, and the small amount of ammonia will give you some long lasting nitrogen, though ammonium uptake can acidify soil a bit.
I was going to mention it to the landlord, Im not the person to be fixing house plumbing.

So youre saying top dress fert is better than liquid fert in containers? I guess that makes alot more sense then mixing up batches. Would just have to water regularly with the top dress, save some time. Before, I would mix up liquid ferts and hand water my few dozen plants.

Since I am not using any drip lines, would the choice be tropicote or still calcinit because of my slight acidic water?

Back