• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

West Indian Red

Back in May I found some interesting peppers in a local supermarket and following JungleRain's advice I decided to grow the wrinkly pod in the first column, second row:

P1150545.jpg

Here's what the plant looks like now:
P1160503.jpg

I know May is a little late in the game to be starting seeds, but I thought I'd give it a try to at least see if I can get a few pods on it before Winter.

Sweet!!

This is my first season with these types and I have 11 of them growing nicely.
What do they taste like and how hot are they?

Nice plant! Can you bring it inside before the freeze? You could have buttloads of early pods next season.

I will definitely consider bringing it in and overwintering if it's looking strong at that point.

Sweet!!This is my first season with these types and I have 11 of them growing nicely. What do they taste like and how hot are they?

It was a pretty good tasting pepper, though it's been a couple months, definitely not super hot as I comfortably nibbled away an entire pod without my eyes watering or anything like that, which is something I liked, a good pepper to throw in the mix.

Let me know if you don't get any pods. I am growing one, with pods forming daily.

Excellent, thank you! It's supposed to be one of the main peppers grown commercially in Jamaica along with Scotch Bonnet, but a much better producer.

With nightly temperatures in the 40s/high 30s I'm bringing it in to ripen. I've severely pruned the plant and left only the 7 pods that were pollinated while the plant was all by itself under a grow light indoors. I'm not going to go through any extraordinary measures to take care of this plant.
P1170819.jpg

P1170821.jpg

This plant has gone out and come back in a few times since my last update. One pod is finally starting to ripen. And it's turning yellow. I'll post a pic when a whole fruit is completely ripe.

So you took seeds from a red pepper and grew this pretty yellow one? Interesting! Can you experts out there explain what's going on?

Tom

So you took seeds from a red pepper and grew this pretty yellow one? Interesting! Can you experts out there explain what's going on?

Tom

yes. all it means is the original plants the red pepper came off of were cross pollinated with something that might look more like this yellow pepper. well, experiment is concluded. I now have several isolated pods of this mut. if anyone wants seeds, let me know.

Back