• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What about composted cow manure?

Well, I was up at wally world and they have composted cow manure for 3.50 roughly for like a 50 pound pound bag. I would think it would be great for peppers and should i use it directly or mix half and half with miracle grow soil or what.

I'd like to know this too. Every year I buy several large bags of either "Moo Poo" or "Ewe Poo" without giving it all much thought. Now I'm over thinking everything. Admittedly, it never seems to make much difference, but is there a difference? If not, it will be EWE for me. Love those sheep!! :)

I used a lot of what the garden center said was Bull Compost and I was told that it is more or less cow poo, with other things added. In fact I found out that there is a cow farm somewhere in this county that manufactures this stuff, yes there is quite a process to making it safe for gardens, as I'm told. I'd say if it is the same stuff, it won't hurt anything. Be prepared to see some mushrooms though.

kylestl said:
Well, I was up at wally world and they have composted cow manure for 3.50 roughly for like a 50 pound pound bag. I would think it would be great for peppers and should i use it directly or mix half and half with miracle grow soil or what.

Dude, you live in Missori! Do you really have to pay for it?

I would mix it with mircle grow....

well i live in St.Louis well a little outside of it in the county area. I could go down south west part and get a bunch of free crap but this stuff is already composted so

I don't think you would want to use fresh crap, it would be way too hot. The farm that makes the compost around here lets it sit and works it for about a year before they sell it to garden centers. Not to mention that the neighbors might not enjoy the fresh smell of cow crap.

Pepperfreak said:
I don't think you would want to use fresh crap, it would be way too hot. The farm that makes the compost around here lets it sit and works it for about a year before they sell it to garden centers. Not to mention that the neighbors might not enjoy the fresh smell of cow crap.

Cow manure doesn't stink. It smells nice and earthy. *snnnniff* Love that smell! Besides, once you offer a lovely ripe tomato or two, all will be forgiven.

kylestl said:

Don't use it straight, it's still too strong for that. You would do better to mix it with the bags of cheap top soil than Miracle Grow, though.

Pepperfreak said:

Well, I mix a lil less the 25% in the garden every couple years. Never been an issue! On the aposing years I add epsom salt and it works for me!:mope:

Oh, I didn't mean that it stinks. I just know that some city folk don't like the smell is all. I like the smell of cow and horse manure. And, I guess it would also depend how much your planning on using.

The reason cow poop doesn't smell much is the same reason it is sloppy and runny when fresh (sorry for the visual)....Cows have a few stomachs from memory? and they food is processed and re processed so almost every bit of nutrients that is available is used up...

Cow poop is no where as good as horse poo but still doesn't hurt to use it...and you won't get anywhere near the same amount of weeds as in horse poop as the cow stomach is much harsher and gets rid of most of the seeds.

IMO cow manure is way better than horse manure, but let it age a year or more(or add to compost) and don't use it straight, mix it with a good loose medium for best results

NPK Values of Various manures.

Manure / N-P-K

Chicken / 1.1 .80 .50

Dairy cow / .25 .15 .25

Horse / .70 .30 .60

Steer / .70 .30. 40

Rabbit / 2.4 1.4 .60

Sheep / .70.30 .90

Remember, 1.These numbers can vary some with what the animal is being fed, and if bedding is mixed in with the manure.

2.Don't compare these with chemical fertilizer numbers. Manures feed the soils by adding organic matter and microorganisms that benefit plants as much as the nutrients.

i've heard that cow manure is excelent for tomatoes or peppers. about 20% of cow manure in your mix should be fine.

caroltlw said:
Goat similar to sheep? And what about babies before they're weaned? Different poop I assume?

Yes, I think goat is similar to sheep. As for babies, yes, NPK values can vary with diet.

moyboy said:
The reason cow poop doesn't smell much is the same reason it is sloppy and runny when fresh (sorry for the visual)....Cows have a few stomachs from memory? and they food is processed and re processed so almost every bit of nutrients that is available is used up...

Well, no.

Cows are ruminants, and they have a 4 chambered stomach. Horses are non-ruminant herbivores and have a functional cecum to accomplish the same thing, ie, the breakdown of cellulose by fermentation. Cellulose is what gives plants cells their rigidity.

Thank goodness for plant nerds!!!No offense intended.

I have heard tha a chunk of manure right up against the roots is bad.

What a perfectly timed thread--I've been thinking about this crap, pardon the pun.

I usually mix composted cow manure with regular old top soil on a 1 to 3 ratio. 1 part manure to 3 parts top soil then add some vermiculite or perlite for water retention and to help keep it loose.

I've got a small compost pile going this season to add to the mix too. Lots of egg shells, banana peels, small amount of peat and coco coir, used tea bags, coffee grounds.

I can hardly wait to get going. Come on global warming!!!

Pam said:
Well, no.

Cows are ruminants, and they have a 4 chambered stomach. Horses are non-ruminant herbivores and have a functional cecum to accomplish the same thing, ie, the breakdown of cellulose by fermentation. Cellulose is what gives plants cells their rigidity.

Well their you go, I have learnt something new...

Back