• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds What am I doing wrong with my seedlings?

I put seeds in a jiffy peat pot, in a container. I put it on my computer or my cable box until the seedling pops up (about an inch). I then move them to a window sill and they still shoot up like this. What am I doing wrong?

NKTeNOql.jpg

If i were you I'd repot them a bit deeper and then give them a better light source. Like JHP said, if they get insufficient lighting they'll stretch out like yours trying to get closer to light.

mas_fuego said:
Should I set up some sort of sun shade cloth and put them outside earlier?

No..it just needs better light.

Gently replant into deeper pot so the leafs are sticking out about 1/2" or 1.5cm

Put in directly under a 60W to 100W CFL ..keep the light as close as possible without harming it.

i had to do it my very first yr growing peppers...just needs a little TLC  ;)

mas_fuego said:

So, I'm just curious why you are starting seeds indoors right now?  Your avatar says that you are in South Florida.  Do you have a screened porch?  If so, why not put them out there during the day?

mas_fuego said:
Being in S Fla, that would work great. And even shaded you only need to provide direct (shaded) light for a few hours the remainder can be ambient light. At least til they get more mature.

I'm not quite in South Florida, and I've got seedlings going like gangbusters outside right now.  You just need to watch the occasional night time temp dip, but even that is no big deal.  If it's over 55 degrees - which it is almost all of the time now - you'll be fine.  In fact, with the dry air, and cooler temps, growth is pretty amazing for me right now.

solid7 said:

So, I'm just curious why you are starting seeds indoors right now?  Your avatar says that you are in South Florida.  Do you have a screened porch?  If so, why not put them out there during the day?
I don't have a screened in porch. Apparently it got destroyed in the hurricanes a few years ago (before I bought this house). I do have areas that have less sun though. 

CAPCOM said:
Being in S Fla, that would work great. And even shaded you only need to provide direct (shaded) light for a few hours the remainder can be ambient light. At least til they get more mature.

I have a spot in between my shed and my wooden fence that should provide just a few hours a day of direct light. I think I will try that.

solid7 said:
I'm not quite in South Florida, and I've got seedlings going like gangbusters outside right now.  You just need to watch the occasional night time temp dip, but even that is no big deal.  If it's over 55 degrees - which it is almost all of the time now - you'll be fine.  In fact, with the dry air, and cooler temps, growth is pretty amazing for me right now.
You have inspired me! I am at the Broward / Palm Beach county border.

mas_fuego said:

You have inspired me! I am at the Broward / Palm Beach county border.

Perfect.  Just be careful of cutworms.  That's the only real threat right now to seedlings.  If you can manage to keep them on a hard uncluttered surface, your risk should be low. 

Florida is great fro growing peppers, as long as you don't plan to put them into the ground. 

solid7 said:

Perfect.  Just be careful of cutworms.  That's the only real threat right now to seedlings.  If you can manage to keep them on a hard uncluttered surface, your risk should be low. 

Florida is great fro growing peppers, as long as you don't plan to put them into the ground.

I keep them off the ground. Way to many pests in my sandy soil.

Back