food What are the best flavoured chillis for cooking?

Hi all,

I am new to the growing of chilli's, but have alway's cooked with them (im learning to be a chef), however i have really only ever used a few variety's namely Jalapeno's Habanero's & cayenne's.

Would love to get an idea of what you "chilli guru's" use for certain meats, style of dishes, heat, salads etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

\m/

I would suggest cooking traditional meals based on the country of origin. For example if you want to cook something with a bhut jolokia look up an Indian recipe or something with yellow scotch bonnet I would suggest jerking it. For example I just googled "spicy Jamaican recipe" and look at that the first webpage that is found is a recipe using yellow scotch bonnets. I just might give that a try lol.

Jerk Chicken Spice Blend
Ingredients

* 1 Tbl. ground allspice
* 1 Tbl. ground thyme
* 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
* 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
* 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
* 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 3/4 tsp. minced ginger
* 2 Tbls. fresh garlic (crushed)
* 1 Tbls. brown sugar or molasses
* 1/4 C. Soy sauce
* 1/4 C. dark rum (optional, but encouraged)
* 3/4 C. white vinegar
* 1/2 C. orange juice
* Juice of 1 lime
* 2 Scotch bonnet peppers
* 3 green onions, diced
* 1 C. white onion, diced

Procedure

1) Put all the ingredients in a blender and whiz until smooth.
Jerk Chicken
Ingredients

* Spice Blend
* 2 lbs. of chicken pieces (I always encourage people to use legs and thighs, but breasts will work as well)
* Lime for garnish

Procedure

1. Place chicken in a large freezer bag and pour in spice blend. Place in a bowl to make sure there isn't any leakage and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but up to a day is preferable.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees or grill. If using an oven, place chicken skin side up on a roasting pan and roast until cooked through (about 45 minutes) flipping once halfway through the process. If using a grill, place chicken skin-side down and grill until skin becomes crisp. Flip and finishing cooking thoroughly. Don't be afraid to blacken the chicken with this recipe.

Read more at Suite101: Jerk Chicken Recipe: Spicy Jamaican Comfort Food http://caribbean-food.suite101.com/article.cfm/jerk_chicken#ixzz0tVjojuD7

I really like red habs and cherry peppers for chilli. Basically the hab supplies a flavorful heat and the hot cherry peppers, with their mild heat, allow for a sweet red pepper flavor (basically, i chop these a lot bigger than the habs).

For steaks and such, I've tried a lot of stuff, but yesterday I used Cappy's tabasco powder added to my standard marinade, and it made for a very very nice taste there (I should have used less powder).

When cooking curries, I stay away from any fresh peppers. The frutiness takes away from the flavor that I generally want to achieve. Crushed cayennes is what I use when I can't find dried thai's at the supermarket.

I also "fix" my cucumber pickles after I get them from the market. I replace the brine with red wine vinegar and drop a few pepperoncini's into the mix, since I haven't been able to find fefferoni around here. That will change next season when I grow my own.

I'll be able to tell you more when I grow the more unusual varieties next year (I have plans for Chocolate Habs, White Habs, and 7 Pots).

I would suggest jerking it.

:lol:

For flavor I like pasilla, poblano, or chile negro for mole, pasilla for stuffing or most mexican foods, ancho (dried poblano), chipotle (smoked red jalapeno), morita (dried jalapeno), serrano (fresh, for salsa verde, fresh salsas, or guacamole), thai for asian dishes, cascabel (especially for chili), habanero for sweet dishes, e.g. mango salsa or pinnapple glazed pork or something, aji lemon for seafood, etc.. Really just depends on what and how you're cooking though. Practically every chile is good in something, just need to learn which to use for which applications. :D

Howdy,

Here's a couple of my favs for cooking that don't have too much heat-
Aji Umba
St Martins Pepper(hab type)
C04662(Hab type)

Then I add ones like these for Heat/flavour-
Yellow Hab
Fatalii
Chock Hab
Naga
7-Pod
Bhut
Trinidad Scorpion

I mainly cook Curries and Spag Bol with these. The Yellow coloured Habs I tend to use more in Seafood dishes.
Hey drop me a line sometime and I might have a few spare seeds to throw your way :cool:

Have fun choosing what to grow next season,
Micca

Back