• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What are these?

I got some dried pods of two varieties from Turkey. Sadly, my parents - who bought them there while on holiday - weren't told what varieties they are. Here are some pics:

tuerk2.jpg

tuerk1.jpg

The pods on the lower pic are rather mild, but pretty tasty, the upper ones are kinda hot. They were dried in the sun, so the seeds should germinate without any problem. I'll give it a go this week and let you know.

It'd be nice to know what they are though, so if any of you have an idea or want some seeds, let me know!!! Thanks!

:lol:

They look like what I got in Portugal last year where they call everything piri-piri, I never knew what they were. My hottest ones were like Birds Eye, no flavour just heat.

rainbowberry said:
They look like what I got in Portugal last year where they call everything piri-piri, I never knew what they were. My hottest ones were like Birds Eye, no flavour just heat.

Piri Piri is just what they call chilis in Portugal, so that doesn#t halp, but thanks a lot for your input. Any suggestion is more than welcome.

Chiliac said:
Piri Piri is just what they call chilis in Portugal, so that doesn#t halp, but thanks a lot for your input. Any suggestion is more than welcome.
I know that's why I said where they call everything Piri-piri. Mine were dried in the sun too and germinated fine. If I really can't be sure of a pepper name I just call it say "medium hot Annuum from where ever" to save confusion.

Exactly how hot are the top ones? Birdseye can get pretty hot. from an easy 50,000SHU to 200,000SHU.

Chiliac said:
Oooops! I must've missed the "everything" part in your post sorry for that!!!!!!!!!!! Oooops again!
No problem. Maybe it should be me apologising. I just re-read what I put and I sound really off, sorry. I was trying to post quickly 'cos my tummy was rumbling for lunch. I'm all happy again now :)

Omri said:
Exactly how hot are the top ones? Birdseye can get pretty hot. from an easy 50,000SHU to 200,000SHU.

I agree! Those are around 7/10 I'd say. I'm not sure if they are Bird's Eye. I'd expect turkish bazars to sell some more local varieties. I may be wrong though.

Chiliac said:
I agree! Those are around 7/10 I'd say. I'm not sure if they are Bird's Eye. I'd expect turkish bazars to sell some more local varieties. I may be wrong though.
I'm not too far from Turkey and 99% of the peppers in the local markets are imported or grown here, even though they're not local.

Random bird pepper from the market here:
10400080gz8.jpg

Looks familiar?
It's just hard to tell what kind of bird pepper it is. the heat might help you, though. if it's too mild or too hot (if it's just standard heat, I can't help you :lol:).

I thought in Portugal I would be able to get local varieties too in the markets but all the ones I went to sold only around 4 types. I noticed at least yours weren't strung together with sewing cotton, mine were and it was like hide and seek in the suitcase when I unpacked. I asked what type they were at the market and was just told Piri Piri everytime. BTW it's nice of your parents to bring them back, I end up with toy camels and hand painted pottery when people go abroad, or chocolate which I don't like.
These were a few of the ones I got, excuse the un-made bed.

Image004.jpg

The sun-dried dog poo looking ones with stalks are dried. The photo's not very clear, but I don't think it looks blue.

Like I said, looks like it's a type of bird pepper. the thing about bird peppers is that endless types exist and they look very similar.

@Omri: Thanks for all the info. I guess what I'm gonna do is grow them and hope theyll be easier to identify then. If they aren't - well, I'll just enjoy nameless beauties!

@rainbowberry: Yeah, I|m glad mz parents brought them, but I should mention that I asked them to look for chilis and seeds. The store selling seeds was out of chili seeds and thez didn|t find another place selling them.

I guess for most people chilis are chilis, no matter what they look like. Or Piri Piri... The dog poo actually looks very interesting, what were they like? Do not worry about the bed or pic, it|s all looking good to me!

Where are you from? if you like, I could send you several types of Birdseye (including the hottest one - African Birdseye).

Chiliac said:
@Omri:
I guess for most people chilis are chilis, no matter what they look like. Or Piri Piri... The dog poo actually looks very interesting, what were they like? Do not worry about the bed or pic, it|s all looking good to me!
I never did anything with the dried ones, they are still lurking about somewhere. As for the bed looking good :lol: but Omri tells me my photos are blue.

Omri said:
Where are you from? if you like, I could send you several types of Birdseye (including the hottest one - African Birdseye).
Me thinks Germany.

rainbowberry said:
I never did anything with the dried ones, they are still lurking about somewhere. As for the bed looking good :lol: but Omri tells me my photos are blue.
So now I'm the bad guy? :surprised:
rainbowberry said:
Me thinks Germany.
Europe is ok. the pack will get to its destination.

Back