• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests What bugs are these?

Are these critters spider mites? These bugs are loving one of my cayenne peppers. Making the new growth brown and dead! :(

It is really tiny, maxed the camera zoom. I have also edited the picture and zoomed in more!

Tried to take some pictures with camera but close to impossible. Here's the best I could do:

pic2wbe.jpg

pic1np.jpg

pic3lv.jpg

pic4gw.jpg

thrip larva brah.
eventually they grow wings and make it to all other plants. they are a sucking insect so my systemic covers me now, but i had a problem with them last year.
im pretty sure these things are what ruined all my plants with a virus. apparently they commonly carry virus's. pretty sure they are regular insects not mites, so use an insectacide.

thrip larva brah.
eventually they grow wings and make it to all other plants. they are a sucking insect so my systemic covers me now, but i had a problem with them last year.
im pretty sure these things are what ruined all my plants with a virus. apparently they commonly carry virus's. pretty sure they are regular insects not mites, so use an insectacide.

Only bug I've ever had problems with is aphids. Those thrip larva brah sounds scary.

I've killed off all I can find on my young cayenne plant. It's a small plant so easy to check every single corner. Seems to be no more on the leaves anymore. All other plants that were close together seem fine, checked most of them.

Should I throw the plant away or just separate it somehow, cover with plastic or something?

Baking soil-less mix in oven would have spared me from this maybe?

Appreciate your reply :)

Neem oil is also a possible treatment - you can google it to find more info. Bonide Fruit and Citrus is also a safe insecticide. You can just treat that plant and iso it for a few days to make sure the critters are gone. Yuk.

Neem oil is also a possible treatment - you can google it to find more info. Bonide Fruit and Citrus is also a safe insecticide. You can just treat that plant and iso it for a few days to make sure the critters are gone. Yuk.
I have dealt with thrips, aphid and mites this year already. Those definitely look like thrips. Azamax took care of all three infestations. Its a bit pricey but it works.

Thanks guys. I will just have to see whats available here in Norway. Very limited availability.

Guess there are many ways and products for this. Will have to do a bit of my own research :)

thrips are susceptable to many insectacides... i prefer to use imidicloprid as a systemic. it will kill aphids thrips... basically any leaf sucking insect... its cheep as dirt too, but it will not effect mites at all. if anything it just removes predators from the mites habatat.
for mites i use abamectin in a product called E-Pro, three sprays every other day, once every other month. abamectin appraently makes its way into leaf tissue and hangs around for like 90 days... takes weeks to work fully because it will not kill ovum. when i run out ill probably try something else.

if you are looking for a natural or organic type solution, you will heave to ask someone else, im down and dirty with chemicals in all aspects to plant cultivation.

thrips are susceptable to many insectacides... i prefer to use imidicloprid as a systemic. it will kill aphids thrips... basically any leaf sucking insect... its cheep as dirt too, but it will not effect mites at all. if anything it just removes predators from the mites habatat.
for mites i use abamectin in a product called E-Pro, three sprays every other day, once every other month. abamectin appraently makes its way into leaf tissue and hangs around for like 90 days... takes weeks to work fully because it will not kill ovum. when i run out ill probably try something else.

if you are looking for a natural or organic type solution, you will heave to ask someone else, im down and dirty with chemicals in all aspects to plant cultivation.

I'm open to any type of pest control really. I've googled about the things you said, sure lot of things I didn't know about :)

Been reading up about Imidacloprid, that you told me about. Interesting how it affects the nervous system of the insects but not other warm blooded animals.

Products available from hydro stores here are:
SMC Leaf wash
BioBizz LeafCoat
B.A.C Plant Vitality
Nite Nite SpiderMite

Thats about all products here! Never tried any of them before, dunno if they are good for their specified pests.

id look to gardening centers, or maby some kind of home improvement place for imidicloprid. here in the states, its sold by Bayer and others in userfriendly quart bottles for about 10 bucks usd.
be sure not to buy concentrated stuff meant for orchards, its much more dangerous and hard to work with and abhorently expensive.

id look to gardening centers, or maby some kind of home improvement place for imidicloprid. here in the states, its sold by Bayer and others in userfriendly quart bottles for about 10 bucks usd.
be sure not to buy concentrated stuff meant for orchards, its much more dangerous and hard to work with and abhorently expensive.

Thanks for all your help! I've sure learned new things from this thread ;) Just up to me, to find out whats the best alternative that I can acquire here in this tiny country haha Wish I had the availability like in the states!

There is always a story about the evils of pesticides but here is the latest one about neonicotinoid insecticides and it supposed new link to bee collapse. I have been using Acetamiprid which is similar and it works amazingly well. I use it on my plants when they are 8"-12" a few days after transplanting outside and it works all summer. I only have to spay a small amount since the plants are small. I don't think I would use it once my plants were full size and flowering and required a ton of it to spray. I think the Imidacloprid can be poured into the roots and have it drawn up to avoid spraying but it sounded more persistent than Acetamiprid. May just be the marketing machine as they are both neonicotinoids. The thought of it being drawn up through the roots and eventually into the peppers made me opt for the Acetamiprid... even though it probably does the same thing. I spray it early in hopes that 4 months and 30 days of 105+ temps later it has broken down and is not in my peppers anymore.

http://www.nytimes.c...udies-find.html

There is always a story about the evils of pesticides but here is the latest one about neonicotinoid insecticides and it supposed new link to bee collapse. I have been using Acetamiprid which is similar and it works amazingly well. I use it on my plants when they are 8"-12" a few days after transplanting outside and it works all summer. I only have to spay a small amount since the plants are small. I don't think I would use it once my plants were full size and flowering and required a ton of it to spray. I think the Imidacloprid can be poured into the roots and have it drawn up to avoid spraying but it sounded more persistent than Acetamiprid. May just be the marketing machine as they are both neonicotinoids. The thought of it being drawn up through the roots and eventually into the peppers made me opt for the Acetamiprid... even though it probably does the same thing. I spray it early in hopes that 4 months and 30 days of 105+ temps later it has broken down and is not in my peppers anymore.

http://www.nytimes.c...udies-find.html

Interesting, never heard that story before about the link to bee collapse. There's a good and bad side to most things really.

You use Acetamiprid on young plants even if you don't notice bugs, to be on the safe side? Or you were referring to the times you were having bugs?

I wonder if these pesticides are approved by government here. Tried searching these different pesticide terms on Norwegian pages, but no avail. Surely not giving up yet though!

If I remember correctly Thrips are one of the things that Sevin dust (or spray or concentrate) is supposed to kill. ~3$ for a shaker bottle... Don't use it indoors, and use it when the wind is still, and not near the sea/lake/pond/etc.... However, it kills almost everything, breaks down in a few days, and is not absorbed by the plant.

In the USA its not supposed to be used on big for profit farms... I think because of the volume of it that you'd have to dump?

Either way, I have used it successfully on a number of things.

Back