• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding What can i expect from F3 vs F5 ??

Hi Guy's

Trying to get my head round crossbreed / hybrids ?

Simple question what can I expect from F3 vs F5 in particular in particular in looking at Scotch brains yellow F5 and Scotch brains chocolate F3

In the past I've always grown "established" varieties..............whole new ball game ?

Stephen

F3 should show a lot of variability compared to F5 (plant and pods size, shape, color, etc.).

I'm at F7 on a hybrid I've been trying to stabilize. Obviously it's hard to draw perfect comparisons with this, but it could be a good indicator. I think I started the thread between F2 and F3, so it's covering your period.

The table below has seemed to line up pretty good with my progress in that thread.

2662a389069d4b05_8937-w240-h297-b0-p0--.jpg

F3 should show a lot of variability compared to F5 (plant and pods size, shape, color, etc.).
Many statistics, formula, etc. try to figure out the probability of something happening. What has to be remembered is that probability, like flipping a coin, is often very random and actual results may very... especially when only one or two tosses of the coin are made versus making hundreds of tosses of the same coin.

Back