• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What can I wash my hands with?

The only thing I have found to be 100% effective is 91% isopropyl alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.

I liberaly apply the alcohol to a washcloth and vigorously rub it over my hands.

Then, I take another clean washcloth, more alcohol, and repeat the process.

For me, this removes all the pepper oil residue.

Perhaps I am not as sensitive, becasue I hear people say handling peppers makes their hands burn, but I have never experieinced this. Only if I am foolish enough to touch my eyes or mouth, or God forbid, my privates, without cleaning my hands first, have I gotten the 'burn'.

alkhall said:
The only thing I have found to be 100% effective is 91% isopropyl alcohol, not rubbing alcohol.

I liberaly apply the alcohol to a washcloth and vigorously rub it over my hands.

Then, I take another clean washcloth, more alcohol, and repeat the process.

For me, this removes all the pepper oil residue.

Perhaps I am not as sensitive, becasue I hear people say handling peppers makes their hands burn, but I have never experieinced this. Only if I am foolish enough to touch my eyes or mouth, or God forbid, my privates, without cleaning my hands first, have I gotten the 'burn'.

Ya it's more because everything I touch lights on fire...

Rawkstah said:
Has anyone made the mistake of putting in contacts after handling something hot?  Is there any quick way to save them?  A couple days ago the dummy that lives with me sprinkled powder on breakfast, and then 30 min later tried to put contacts in.   He couldn't wear the contacts that day at all and let them soak in contact solution. The next day it was still spicy... I told him to toss them and start a new pair... after 2 days and a lot of red eye and tears the lens is back to normal... I don't wear contacts so I have no idea what that's like, just wondering if there is something better to do because I can see this happening again... and again...

and again.  

OMG yes that is the WORST!  It was not worth it to keep the contacts.

Yea the contact lens burn is horrible!
1st suggestion is to get disposable lenses. I have daily lenses so no huge loss I if I need to throw one out before it melts on to my eyeball and then continues to liquify the eye jelly.
And 2nd suggedtion is tobask a completely unsympathetic wife to put a new lens in while she's laughing at how red your eye is this time... because you did the exact same thing just last week...

I have had the juice from a super-hot squirt into my eye on a few occasions, and, interestingly, it doesnt burn much unless you open your eyes.  And it impossible to open your eyes.... so basically you are just blinded until your tears wash it away.

Noah Yates said:
I have had the juice from a super-hot squirt into my eye on a few occasions, and, interestingly, it doesnt burn much unless you open your eyes.  And it impossible to open your eyes.... so basically you are just blinded until your tears wash it away.
You are right, although my experience was a little different. I wear reading glasses when I cut up my peppers. Once they fell off my face and I carelessly just grabbed them and put them back on, only to realize I touched all over the nose bridge section and so got pepper juice right on the inside corner of both eyes. The only way to make it stop hurting was to keep my eyes closed. Didn't want to use wash with water because I knew it would spread. So I just stood there for what seemed like forever until I could at least squint enough to go wash my hands (yeah, no gloves)and grab a few beers.

UPDATE

I tried 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. Lathered my hands with it for about 5 minutes and it worked out really well. 

With Everclear,it's different.
It works better using it from the inside out.

Gotta drink it until it comes out your pores and washes away the hot oils.

I hear you can make a good n spicey Bloody Mary by soaking your pepper juice coated hands (or other body parts) in Everclear then using the Everclear for the cocktail.
Teabag cocktails anyone?

A few weeks ago I got pepper debris under my thumbnails while cleaning Aji Lemon Drops for a sauce.

For the next day I had periods of no sensation followed by intervals of intense, throbbing burn under the edge of the nails.

I rather enjoyed the experience. (You all understand what I mean!)

Back