• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

what causes deformed leaves?

some of the leaves on all of my pepper plants are deformed, seems to only be happening to the new growth the most(but not all the new growth). I'm wondering if overwatering could be the cause? I will get pics up as soon as I can, I am currently at work.

Could be a number of things causing leaf deformities. If your soil / potting mix is deficient in certain minerals, if their is a genetic defect in the seeds, etc.

Could be a number of things causing leaf deformities. If your soil / potting mix is deficient in certain minerals, if their is a genetic defect in the seeds, etc.
+1 I wrote on another thread about nutrient lockout which caused nutrient deficiency, quite a few new leaves were appearing malformed, once I fixed the problem things got back to normal.
Is the new growth considerably yellow/light green? If so this could be a sulfur deficiency.

I posted a forum about a week back because I had severe yellowing on most of the leaves. Last saturday afternoon I repotted everything and remixed the soil with coco coir. Within 48 hours the droopy yellow leaves started to make a complete turnaround and about 95% of them are back to a nice shade of green. Could this deformation on the new growth be because of what I was dealing with a week or so ago, and will work itself out if I leave it alone?

pics as promised
2011-05-13_191107deform.jpg
2011-05-13_191118deform.jpg
2011-05-13_191200deform.jpg

I have a couple of plants that just started the same thing. I've done some online searching and it sounds like it is likely too much nitrogen. Less likely is Verticillium Wilt. Several said it could possibly be aphids or herbicide exposure but I've ruled those out for my situation. I'm not sure if flushing the potting soil with water will wash out nitrogen or exactly what course of action to take.

I have a couple of plants that just started the same thing. I've done some online searching and it sounds like it is likely too much nitrogen. Less likely is Verticillium Wilt. Several said it could possibly be aphids or herbicide exposure but I've ruled those out for my situation. I'm not sure if flushing the potting soil with water will wash out nitrogen or exactly what course of action to take.
Yep, I just did one of those at home soil test things and it's coming up with high levels of nitrogen. looks like I will only be watering for a while.

I don't really know, I think I will just stay on a normal schedule right now and see if it doesn't get better. If it doesn't get better then I guess I will be forced to flush everything. I'm hoping to be able to get this turned around with doing the least handling of the plants as possible, I've already put them through enough. I think I'm going to let the soil get pretty dry and then start bottom watering, which I have never done, so any advice on that would be great.

Back