• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What color should Scotch Bonnets be..?

The local Mexican Restaurant I give some excess peppers to asked why mine are this color...
Whats the correct color for SB..?

These peppers were from SB seeds from a pod, pods were yellow, This plant produces yellowish pods to start then turn orange fast. The peppers taste awesome, hot, sweet and citrus.

This plant seems to be losing a few leafs, not sure why, wonder if that effects the fruit color..?

TK6fpxX.jpg

Can't really tell from the pic, but those don't actually look like Scotch Bonnets, from what I can see.  I wouldn't want to venture a guess what they actually are, but if they look up close like they do from a distance, I'd guess what they are NOT.
My plants always shed some leaves when it gets a little cooler.  I've posted this before...  Seasonally, color drops out, leaves fall off a bit.  Most likely has to do with cooler temps at the roots affecting uptake.  Here in FL, it can be hard to keep optimal pH, anyway, so the cool can exacerbate that.  Nothing to worry too much about.  Don't fiddle, make sure you don't let them go dry, now that monsoon season is over...

To be clear:  That's not necessarily the perfect form...  But it's the best pic I have.  They are often flatter, and wider.  But they always come out with the blossom end looking like it's being pushed/pulled through an invisible opening that's smaller than the body of the pepper.

Hard to see clearly in the pic and of course it could be a myriad of other peppers but the OPs pic to me looks like a good ole orange hab. Many local supermarkets around here also have what looks to be orange habs labeled as scotch bonnets or Jamaican hot peppers.

Thanks for all the replies...

The pod  I got seeds from came from the vendor that supplies my local Mex restaurant. Pods were all bright yellow and looked all a little different, some with the classic SB look...

Both these pods come from that same seed pod of mother plant above in first post.

6qPPtk9.jpg

Its my first time growing Scotch Bonnets, I have grown theses from seeds that where labeled as Red Scotch Bonnets.
Time will tell if they turn red, they are looking tasty though :P  :P  :P
So I cant really comment on shape and color other than what mine are looking like so far.

IMG202012051712431.jpg

IMG202012051713101.jpg

solid7 said:
To be clear:  That's not necessarily the perfect form...  But it's the best pic I have.  They are often flatter, and wider.  But they always come out with the blossom end looking like it's being pushed/pulled through an invisible opening that's smaller than the body of the pepper.
If I remember correctly, the MoA says the desired
shape is that of a "coffee cup in a saucer" (if the pod
is held upside down.)

PaulG said:
is held upside down.)
That got me looking through the MOA website, and they mention how the West Indian Red/Orange/Yellow Pepper is commonly mistaken as Scotch Bonnets in markets that import peppers from Jamaica.  Could be the case here. Learn something new every day.

Pictures from Semillas La Palma
west_indian_yellow.jpg

westindian_yellow.jpg

PaulG said:
is held upside down.)
Hey Paul,
I assume you mean MoA, Jamaica as there are a lot of them worldwide. >Wiki-List of agriculture ministries

Demented said:
That got me looking through the MOA website,
Hey Demented, can you post that Link? All I have is Growing Scotch Bonnet - PDF -

_

Demented said:
That got me looking through the MOA website, and they mention how the West Indian Red/Orange/Yellow Pepper is commonly mistaken as Scotch Bonnets in markets that import peppers from Jamaica.  Could be the case here. Learn something new every day.
Yup,and that is why there are so many and most don't look like bonnets. Still,there is variation in seeds directly from the MOA in Jamaica as can be seen in many threads here. If the shape isn't 100% accurate,the flavor can be used as diagnostic proof. They are aromatic beasts!

Im no expert but I think cup in saucer shape is a great explanation. Also agree, the MOAs are aromatic beasts! Mine are already leaves up in hopes of summer trees. :onfire:  (dang nursery 'bonnets turned out to be habs) ...

If you like bonnets get some moa going in 21, bet your restaurant friends would be asking for more too! 

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Hey Paul,
I assume you mean MoA, Jamaica as there are a lot of them worldwide. >Wiki-List of agriculture ministries

Hey Demented, can you post that Link? All I have is Growing Scotch Bonnet - PDF -

_
I'll try and find it again. I had at least 15 tabs open. It was burried at the bottom of some "why invest in peppers" sheet from the Jamaica MOA.

Back