• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What colour temp of CFL?

Hey, I need to grow my chillies inside but I don't know what colour temp for the light. Google is unreliable.
Can anyone with personal experience tell me what colour temp to use?
(I'm under the impression around 6500K)
Thanks

Using florescent I'd only recommend T5HO bulbs.  Color doesn't matter with peppers as much, the high output bulbs can maintain decent enough heat for adult plants (a few of them at least).  Normally t5HO bulbs are 6500k

I am a cheap bastard.  My seedlings are under cool whites in the old style shop lights.  They do fine until I move them to mixture of HPS and MH.  Why cheap ass old shop lights?  Cause they are cheap, cheap, cheap.  You can get a two bulb rig for about ten bucks at lowes.

I've seen people try to light peppers with like 10 cfl bulbs... It would be cheaper to just buy a t5 fixture.

Now depending what your goals are determines what you need. My seedling rack is T8 bulbs. They do just fine under T8s. Not sure T8s would be enough to produce mature podding plants though.

For my mature indoor plants I use LED and T5ho

If all you want to do is raise seedlings indoors and eventually transfer them outside a double T8 fixture works pretty good.
I have had success with 4000K and 6500K colour temps.
They are also easily located and pretty cheap.

Back