• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what could this be?

These marking's on the cots fist started showing up about 3 days ago and now they are getting bigger. They are potted in a 50/50 mix of foxfarm ocean forest and coco coir. I have been making sure to let the water sit out before I water them to let all the chlorine evaporate out of it, I also do level tests before the watering to make sure levels are 0(or dang close to it). I do not see any bugs, and I have also put out lady bugs just in case.
2011-05-09_090012.jpg

2011-05-09_085955.jpg

2011-05-09_085933.jpg

Looks like a bug got to it nothing on the underside - I presume and the army of LB's below will take care of Aphids - the first leaves look healthy though

Could very well be those "ladybugs" cause those aren't "ladybugs". Those are asian beetles and they will nibble on foliage.

It doesn't look like they've been nibbled on, more like something stamped into them. Anyway you can get some close ups of the leaves? Top and bottom?

@mmcdermott1- those markings showed up before I put ladybugs(at least I thought they were, got them from a calloways)in the pots.I put them on all my plants and there doesn't seem to be any new damage to anything that I noticed this morning.
@Patrick- I will see what I can do about some close ups for ya.

ok, i was mistaken. there really wasn't much to look at underneath, everything was nice and green. So it's just on top and sorry, but this is the best I can do right now for a photo(camera phone) until my fiance gets back to the house so I can use her fancy camera. But maybe this will help?
2011-05-09_102858closeup-1-1.jpg

my first thought was slugs...but the circular pattern of the damage puzzles me...do you a picture of the back?

Thanks for giving it a shot. OK, now does it look like something has been eating or does it look more like something was stamped into the leaf? I don't think the discoloration is good. Maybe some type of small caterpillar or moth larvae?

How careful are you when watering? I had something similar happen to a few when I started hardening off outside. I splashed a bit of fert solution on the lower leaves and it left a burn close to that. If you look close you can see the pattern is roughly circular just like a water drop..... I havent had it happen again since I became REALLY careful when watering.

How careful are you when watering? I had something similar happen to a few when I started hardening off outside. I splashed a bit of fert solution on the lower leaves and it left a burn close to that. If you look close you can see the pattern is roughly circular just like a water drop..... I havent had it happen again since I became REALLY careful when watering.
I believe you could be right woody, didn't even think about that until you said it. I will be much much more careful from now on and see what kind of difference that makes.

Are they out in the sun or under some heavy duty indoor light? Without that I wouldn't think water drops. I've been doing some reading and I'm thinking some kind of leaf mining insect.

Are they out in the sun or under some heavy duty indoor light? Without that I wouldn't think water drops. I've been doing some reading and I'm thinking some kind of leaf mining insect.
they are under 2 T12 Fluros. I have the light set about 4 inches off the top of the little guys so they don't get leggy on me. If it was an insect wouldn't you expect to see it on both sides? You were correct with what you said about how it looks like something stamped the leaf, instead of it going all the way through to the other side.

I'm not 100% sure but looks like leaf miner, a small worm that tunnels inside the leaves just under the surface. They only affect the leaves and can be controlled with Neem oil or liquid soap.

I'm not 100% sure but looks like leaf miner, a small worm that tunnels inside the leaves just under the surface. They only affect the leaves and can be controlled with Neem oil or liquid soap.
what kind of liquid soap do I use, if I already have some I will just use that as opposed to going out and buying something else. I'm guessing just dilute it and then massage it on the affected leaves...or all of them?

what kind of liquid soap do I use, if I already have some I will just use that as opposed to going out and buying something else. I'm guessing just dilute it and then massage it on the affected leaves...or all of them?

You want a natural liquid soap that contains (potassium of fatty acids) like Safer's Soap or Natrasoap, this suffocates the little buggers without harming your plants,
be careful when using household soaps like dish detergent because a lot of them contain petroleum based chemicals and can burn and kill your plant.
Whatever you use get one of those cheap plastic spray bottles, mix 20-30ml soap to litre of water making sure you completely cover the whole plant to the point of run off, DONOT apply in direct sun or temps over 30C.

The pattern is kinda wierd,
But, it looks like it is only on the cotyledons.
So I wouldnt worry much! They will soon fall off anyway!
If it starts getting on the true leaves I would worry.

Kevin

The pattern is kinda wierd,
But, it looks like it is only on the cotyledons.
So I wouldnt worry much! They will soon fall off anyway!
If it starts getting on the true leaves I would worry.

Kevin
yes as of right now it is only on the cotyledons. I actually looked earlier and the second set of leaves are well on their way, I have 2 others that are a little bit behind that on but their first sets are coming in nicely. I took another members advice and mixed in some coco to cut down the concentration of the natrual ferts in the soil I use and all my plants have seemed to explode with new growth in the last 48 hours. Very exciting times!

Back