• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds What did I do wrong? Soil and germination

Hey everyone,

I have been having some mixed results with my germination and growing thus far this season, and was hoping to get some input from everyone to see where I went wrong and what I can learn from it.

Last season, I germinated my seeds in peat pots and had fabulous results, so I used them again this year. Three weeks ago I sowed. I made a germination mix after looking around and reading many threads on what people liked.
These are the ratios of the mix:

2 parts peat moss
2 parts vermiculite
1 part top soil
1 part compost (manure / hummus)
Handful of used coffee grounds
Handful of lime

I made enough mix to fill 1.5 flats worth of peat pots, so a "handful" is relative to that amount of soil.

I tested the pH and it is about ~6.0 (maybe less... it was a cheap test kit from greenhousemegastore.com).

The seeds are no deeper than 1/4"... I checked on some depths yesterday. They are covered, moist and on a heat mat ~85 degrees F.

The puzzling thing is that some seeds of one type of pepper are germinating, and others aren't. For example, a week ago I got 1 out of 6 seeds of white bullet, quintisho, and douglah, and there is no sign whatsoever of the other 5 seeds.
Other species, most seeds have germinated and true leaves are coming out.

Any thought as to the inconsistency with germination? If it were consistent among types, I wouldn't worry, but similar seeds are not haveing similar results.

Any thought? What would you change? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks!

Bing

If it was me, I would leave out the top soil and compost for starting seeds, and make a mix of peat and vermiculite/perlite and ph balance with the lime if you wanted to make your own rather than buy. This will decrease the chance of damping off, which can happen before the sprout ever makes it to the surface. Also, the coffee grounds are acidic which may lower ph more as they sit and are very high in nitrogen, so I would leave them out as well. Maybe too much nitrogen for the babies.

However, if you are only having a problem with a couple of varieties out of 20, it may just be seed quality (older seeds, maybe taken from underripe peppers, or just plain harder to start.) It may have nothing to do with your mix.

Another thing to think about is that I always get slower germination on the edges of the flat because the heat mat is cooler around the edges, so if those varieties are on the edges, maybe that explains the slower germination.

Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps you pin down the differences.
jacob

To jjs7741 - to your comment "always get slower germination on the edges of the flat because the heat mat is cooler around the edges", I have had completely the opposite results, my seeds sprouted from the outside in. Most likely the difference in mat wouldn't you say?

IMO your seed starting medium needs to be extra fine, light and "clean" (read no twigs or other lumps of stuff)...this allows the roots to grow uninhibited... I use Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix and that is all I use if I can get enough of it...

and, no fertilize for the seedlings until they have their second set of true leaves...if you are using superthrive, you are increasing your internodal spacing on your plants...I used to use it but my plants got too tall too quick and became weak even with good light and a strong fan breeze twice a day for 30 minutes...

there is enough nutrients contained in the seeds to sustain them for quite a while...

All,

Thanks for the input. I sifted through the mix to pull out all of the twigs and big bark pieces from the peat moss.

I also noticed last year that in the end, most of the seeds I planted were bad crosses (*cough* Pepper Joe *cough*). I anticipate that from all of the kind folks on here who have traded/sent seeds to me this year that the seeds are of a much more pure breed.

Is there any correlation to the purity of the seed / no cross breed or BAD breed as length of germination? Looking back at my log from last year, the fastest sprouts turned out to be the worst crosses... Jalapeno/Bell (I think), sickly Bolivian Rainbow, and VERY large and unhot Cayennes (I think a Cayenne/Big Jim cross). I know chinenses and other "hotter" peppers take longer to germinate... there has been ample discussion about this on here, but would a dirty cross be quicker to sprout?

Bing

I haven't noticed a difference in germination, but with a cover on, I find that the outside edges collect the condensation running down the sides whereas the center is always dryer.

Disappointing to here about your pepper joe experience.... that's where much of my stock came from this year!?!

rhicksg said:
To jjs7741 - to your comment "always get slower germination on the edges of the flat because the heat mat is cooler around the edges", I have had completely the opposite results, my seeds sprouted from the outside in. Most likely the difference in mat wouldn't you say?

Could be. I use a cheap hydrofarm heat mat that I got a few years ago. My heat mat is the exact size as the tray and about the first inch in every direction is not heated. That's why the outside is cooler. Not cold, but a little cooler. I suspect that's why the outside is consistantly a couple days later every year.

i haven't noticed any differences from the edge of the mat to the center, i have noticed that the more pots on the mat the better it works, possible the weight helps heat transfer. also i shoot all the pots with a inf red thermometer all plants across the mat at 80 degrees. work for me! not all seeds come up at same time

HawaiiAl said:
i haven't noticed any differences from the edge of the mat to the center, i have noticed that the more pots on the mat the better it works, possible the weight helps heat transfer. also i shoot all the pots with a inf red thermometer all plants across the mat at 80 degrees. work for me! not all seeds come up at same time

I never got into it that far. I dont own an IR thermometer, but I do feel the difference by touch. On my heat mat, the edges are not heated. They are cool to the touch while the center is noticably warm. I am sure there is heat transfer through the soil allowing the soil to still get above room temp. Not a big deal as far as my germination, I am at 85% germination so far this year, including the wilds that are real slow to come up. Will probably end the year over 90%. They still come up, just about 4 or 5 days later consistantly on every tray.

I know that every seed is different and germ dates vary, but for example, this year I planted 3 cells of 7 pot SR Strain. 1 cell was on the edge, the other 2 more towards the middle. The 2 in the middle took 6 days to come up, both on same day, the cell on the edge came up after 12 days. Just an observation I made from my experience. Your results may vary.:lol:

Happy Growing!
jacob

Back