• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor What do Aji Limon taste like?

I got a couple Aji Limon plants from another forum member and will be growing them out this year.
After I looked into them, it turns out they aren't what I was thinking.
So, my first time growing these... What do they taste like and heat levels?
I've grown scorps, bhuts, douglahs, JalapeƱos, Habs, thai, you name it... Most of them but never these..

Thanks

a sweet kind of citrus flavor moderate heat 20,000 shu I think

I got a couple Aji Limon plants from another forum member and will be growing them out this year.
After I looked into them, it turns out they aren't what I was thinking.
So, my first time growing these... What do they taste like and heat levels?
I've grown scorps, bhuts, douglahs, Jalapeños, Habs, thai, you name it... Most of them but never these..

Thanks

What were you expecting or thinking?

Aji Limons, have a nice lemony taste and are very juicy. But, I think they have a right sharp bite at the end. Limons, make really nice jelly/jam, IMO.
They are easy to grow, kinda branching out like a vine. Aji Limons are very prolific.

I can see how they could taste "soapy". They have a bright citrus flavour, but aren't really sugary sweet like a lemon.

Some people don't like Aji Limon...Some people love 'em...

You should definitely grow them out, so you can decide for yourself...It's a fun plant to grow. Good production, lots of dark green leaves. It is a sprawling plant, though, as Terravexti said...It will definitely need some support.

It's a nice change from super hots or the usual annuums. A very unique pepper.

Lol, they've got seeds for them at Home Depot now. I took this pik several months ago but forgot to post it here:

limonseeds1.jpg

Awesome aji I can send you pods this yr if you wish. orange,dulce yellow,lemon,limon and colorado going. Also do not trust seeds from this company. You might have garlic

What do they taste like?
...HEAVEN!
Seriously, they are slightly lemon-like, not very hot, and absolutely perfect in salads. I am growing them solely to put on my family's salads this year. Mild enough that when diluted by the other veggies, the kids will eat them. Hot enough that the wife and I will be happy eating them. Tasty enough to invest time and energy into growing.

They are a baccatum. Aji Limon remind me more of a celery taste than citrus. They are delicious with a sandwich.
Mild enough that I can eat a whole one, yet spicy enough that I need that alternate bite of something else.

They produce more than any other pepper I grow, except maybe chupitenhas or tabasco. One of the first peppers
to mature for me. Good choice.

I've grown them. They are delicious with a true lemon citrus taste. I think mine were hotter than the generally reported 20,000 scovilles, but not deadly hot, certainly <75,000 scovilles. The only downside is that the plants are tall and very woody. It appears to me that these 2 attributes are features of the c baccatum types.

I've grown mine for several years and really like them. Small pods , nice heat , and a great lemon flavor. Use them with fish or in salads fresh .There seems to be several peppers with the same name or named closed enough to make things confusing . Mine are Aji Limons

I got my seeds from the guy in Finland. Forgot his name ... Mine were labeled as a chinense. Here's picture with some next to Trinidad Perfumes. The only picture of them I could find on my Mac

DSCF3291.jpg

Noah .... after you harvest some of the pineapple ones I'd like hear you thoughts of them . Do they really taste like a pineapple ?

Cool pik fellow Mac user! Irie!

Here's my Aji Limon row in my 2011 garden...There were 12 plants, bearing way more fruit than me, my familiy, and my co-workers could use. I posted this pik to try to show how much the plants were sprawling by the end of the season. The branches were long and skinny and loaded with fruit. Hard to provide support for them...Next time I grow them I believe I'll use a Florida weave trellis:

limon3.jpg

This is a closer shot of the end plant, to show the incredible production Aji Limon is capable of:

limon2.jpg

P. Dreadie on a mac! Gary mac'in too!
Bought my first mac in 1992. :)
I set out for aji limons this year, but got aji pineapple instead. One of the three baccatums im growing this year (yay!). May have to try the limons next season after all.
Anyone have a comparison of the two?

Back