co-packer What do I need to bring to a co-packer

I have finally found an investor that wants to take my sauce to mass market. I plan to visit Bodine's Specialty Foods in Clearwater FL later this week as they have come highly recommended. (thanks Turk and Wendy)
My recipe is awesome in my normal small batches with a blender and crok-pot. How do I tell them how to make it if I need 100 cases?
I asked a similar question last year and got some great resonses. I need a big refresher course.
I have a $2,500 budget to get started. I'm an old hippie that can squeeze a nickel out of a penny if I have to.

Better question, you have an awesome sauce recipe and 2500 bucks. What do you do?

First off you need your recipes and usually a sample of each sauce. The co-paker (at least the ones I have met with) will usually convert your recipe to larger batches. Just becareful cuz when you multiply a recipe the overall flavor can drastically change. I have heard of Bodine's (way up here in Ohio) and they have a good rep from what I have been told. Most co-pakers make sauces by the gallon not the case. You say 100 cases (most hot sauces use 5 ounce woozy bottles) at 100 cases thats about 45 gallons of sauce. Your co-paker may have a "minimum batch size" (the co-paker I have been talking to is 100 gallon minimum batch size which is 13,320 ounces at a cost of $2300)

hope this helps out

Do you have a lawyer? I would recommend getting one to handle the paperwork dealing with recipes and trademarks, etc.

Dyce51 said:
oh ya also look into Liability Insurance as well. I believe its called "Product Liability"
This may be something to ask the co-packer about, not sure how they handle it. Since they manufacture it, they made include it in their fees.

You want BOTH product liability and personal liability. Also, as I've mentioned many times in the past, when you choose a lawyer, make SURE he has food industry experience and knowledge. If they don't, your wallet will get a LOT lighter very quickly as the lawyer does his 'research' to answer your questions. I only know this from experience, and I am happy to tell people about it so they can avoid the major monetary speed bumps. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

You'll want a warning label for sure, so the moron who decided they can drink it straight doesn't use the moron card against you and u get sued.

Do you have label made?

I would call up any vendors you wanna buy materials from too. If you're buying in quantities (in this economy) they might give u a further discount to secure the large order.

Back