What do you know about dehyrators?

I built my own Dehydrator!! I used plans I found online.....(my camera is broken otherwise I'd post pics) however Here are the plans I used.....By the way it works great and can dry extremely large amounts at one time!!! And yes it is controlled by a thermostat!!

sanders63-1.gif

The trays don't need to be polycarbonate, I thought of making a frame and attaching stainless screen over it.

I looked on the internet again and found where I got this plan... Backwoodshome.com

also they had a a post about the heating element and here is where you get the element needed

The address and phone number of the ceramic heat coil provider is: Akinsun Heat Company, Inc., 1531 Burgandy Parkway, Streamwood, IL 60107, Att: Mr. Syed Musavi, Telephone: 630-289-9393. They have two models available: #CS1003-01 500W, #CS1003-02 660W. Cost is $25 each.

Thanks everyone, this was a great thread! Now I know for the future the larger ones (commercial) to get! Great advice..

I ended up getting a Nesco for *free* ! I was talking to my dad about dehydrators and he called me two days ago and said he found one and picked it up! Let you guys know how it goes at the end of the season when I got lots of peppers to dehydrate!!

xoxo

I use a NESCO....works fine for everything from herbs up to jerky. Sure you could go better, but unless you are in it to sell goods, NESCO will serve you fine. I think mine goes from 95F-170F?

Yeah, I think its good to start small for anythin you do bc mistakes are better learned on small level (and a lot cheaper too!) .. I havent even taken it outta the box yet- got nothin to dehydrate! Johnny and I are havin a bbq on Sunday, and heading to Florida for the month of June next friday .. so he's plannin on makin some jerky with leftover meat from the bbq! Hopefully it comes out nice...

I picked this one up off of EBAY last year for $90. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCcQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fooddehydratorreviews.org%2Fstx-dehydra-600w-10-tray-jerky-food-dehydrator-with-horizontal-air-flow-includes-3-each-41-mil-dehydrax-sheets-see-details%2F&rct=j&q=STX+DEHYDRA+600W%22+10+TRAY+FOOD+DEHYDRATOR&ei=6o4ZTIDPHsKAlAfq_ZDwCw&usg=AFQjCNGUKWOSHprVriuzwZWtlRdqWb9niw Works as advertised.

Back