• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What do you think about this light?

http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z

I'm thinking about using two of these (30,000 lumens total) in the box I'm using to grow seedlings to the stage I want to transplant them (maybe four-five weeks) instead of three 105 watt CFL bulbs (20,700 lumens total). The CRI is low but I really cannot find much info on CRI and internodal length. If I really need a better CRI, I can use two of the CFL bulbs which would give me another 13,800 lumens. If I am the light correctly, I should get more than 10,000 lux at the top of each plant, plus a very warm grow chamber.

Most of the Google results had positive posts from pot growers.

Mike

Why go with generic HPS bulbs? it makes no sense... it's not just about lumen intensity, actually that like 1% of the actual affect. what you need is bulb with better spectrum. Sunmaster's 600W Super HPS Deluxe is one of the best I tried so far and it's relatively cheap.

Omri,

I'm confused here. The first highlight I saw was: "Red output for stem elongation." That's the last thing I want for plants I want to sell.

Secondly, the Kelvin temp is 2100, the same as the light I was looking at. The 90,000 lumens is impressive but the light itself is about $100. I would still need the ballast and reflector for it.

Next year, if this one goes good, I won't mind investing more in lights, but I don't have a clue if I will sell 10 or 1000 plants. All I am trying to accomplish is to light 18.75 sq. ft. very intensely and then another 45 sq. ft. to a lesser extent if this helps.

Mike

The color you see in HPS bulbs is the result of a complex spectrum. you're actually looking at multiple wavelengths at different intensity levels, contrary to what you see with LEDs. each type of bulb, even if the final color is the same, uses different types of wavelengths. the plants react to wavelengths, not the color you see. HPS bulbs do use mainly wavelengths from the red end, that's why they're yellow, but the generic types usually use the farther end, which is no good for plants (in large doses). it's basically a high-power Incandescent in terms of colors. HPS bulbs made for growing are different, as they use more of the effective wavelengths. an example is the Son Agro bulb.

If selling is purpose, I can make it a lot easier for you. at what "age" do you want to sell your plants? some bulbs are excellent for a specific period of time.

I have two lights total. One is a four foot 6500K floro and the other is a 400W HID running a 4000k MH bulb. Two seed starting trays sit under the floro and the MH until they go outside. I have an HPS ballast but the only difference is the pulse start. I run 2 x 32 watts plus the 400 watt that's it. A high kelvin bulb that typically is a MH is what you what for vegetative plants.

Omri,

It's hard to specify a specific "age" because toms and peppers grow at different rates. But basically, I want them to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8" tall, in either 3" square by 3.5" deep containers or 1"x2.5" cells that are also 3.5" deep.

I know that long stems make absolutely no difference except that the person has to dig a deeper hole - plants should always be planted to the bottom leaves. But my customers are city slickers who think that a plant in a six-inch container and has blooms on it will produce more fruit quicker than one in a 1x2 cell without any flowers. I've seen people pay $6.95 for a tomato plant in a 6" container when they could have walked across the street and bought the same plant, albeit in a much smaller cell, for $2.00.

Thus, what I hope to grow is bushy plants and alas, do it organically. Yeah, people are into this stuff. At least all my seeds are heirlooms, which also seems to matter.

Mike

Bushy plants with buds is still vegetative stage. I say go with a balanced spectrum and play it safe. Daylight (5,500K/6,500K) grow MH bulbs would do the trick. they'll get all bushy, but not too tall.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I have two lights total. One is a four foot 6500K floro and the other is a 400W HID running a 4000k MH bulb. Two seed starting trays sit under the floro and the MH until they go outside. I have an HPS ballast but the only difference is the pulse start. I run 2 x 32 watts plus the 400 watt that's it. A high kelvin bulb that typically is a MH is what you what for vegetative plants.

PRM,

I need to cover about 19 sq. ft. with as many lumens as I can, at the least expensive cost possible - both for the fixtures and electricity.

To be honest, I'm swimming in waters I've never seen before. I think I have a great marketing plan but I can't say for sure how many plants I'll be able to sell. Best scenario - I sell all of them and pocket Three Grand. Worst case - I'm out $302 plus whatever else I spend on lights, potting soil, a cold frame and other expenses. But I will have plants for my garden!

Both realistically and optimistically, I think I can sell all I have. I publish a weekly, community newspaper so I can run ads for free. I deliver a paper to 350 "mom and pop" businesses and can leave a flyer at each one - as well as offer free delivery. I know lots of Senior (lots of them like to have a small garden) and garden groups. But to do this, I have to grow great looking (bushy, with lots of foliage) plants. And this year, I have to do it on a shoestring budget.

Mike

Omri said:
Bushy plants with buds is still vegetative stage. I say go with a balanced spectrum and play it safe. Daylight (5,500K/6,500K) grow MH bulbs would do the trick. they'll get all bushy, but not too tall.

Omri,

Maybe I'm not Googling the best terms, but I'm coming up with lights that cost $200+ per fixture. The bulbs are reasonable and affordable but the fixture cost???

I admit - I know nothing about these types of bulbs, ballasts, etc. If all I need to do is run an electrical cord to a fixture and screw the bulb into it, not a problem. I've installed breaker boxes and wired entire houses, but I don't know if this counts for the lights you are suggesting.

But I do appreciate your help!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Omri,

I admit - I know nothing about these types of bulbs, ballasts, etc. If all I need to do is run an electrical cord to a fixture and screw the bulb into it, not a problem. I've installed breaker boxes and wired entire houses,

Mike

I hear that Mike. I am the same way. I can do the basics. I know the size of the breaker I can use for the gauge of the wire. I know how to wire in fixtures etc. but when people start talking technical specs I am lost. Kind of like math. I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Other than that forget it.

Josh,

I remember A-squared times B-squared equals C-squared, which came in handy figuring how far second base should be from Home Plate! I feel like my office's landlord - he was a licensed, master electrician in his younger days (he's about 84 now) but now he wonders about hooking up a light fixture to code.

Mike

Pepper Ridge Farm said:

so my 20k 250w MH from my old fish tank should work for vegetative growth? hmmmm.

LM,

It's actually this one: http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z

But compared with some 105-watt, 6,900 lumen output CFL bulbs that cost about $26 each, it seems like a good option.

I am using the Eiko 105 watt bulbs now for some lighting but I am having my doubts about them. One bulb quit after two days, another blew out the end. In defense of 1000Bulbs.com and Eiko - the former replaced the bulb at no cost and Eiko's rep e-mailed me to say he has never heard of a bulb exploding and offered to replace it if I mail the bulb in. But there is something that suggests that if two out of seven bulbs go bad, and they cost $25 each, they are not a good option, no matter how good plants look and grow under them.

I should have started experimenting several months earlier than I did.

Mike

hey

Omri said:
The color you see in HPS bulbs is the result of a complex spectrum. you're actually looking at multiple wavelengths at different intensity levels, contrary to what you see with LEDs. each type of bulb, even if the final color is the same, uses different types of wavelengths. the plants react to wavelengths, not the color you see. HPS bulbs do use mainly wavelengths from the red end, that's why they're yellow, but the generic types usually use the farther end, which is no good for plants (in large doses). it's basically a high-power Incandescent in terms of colors. HPS bulbs made for growing are different, as they use more of the effective wavelengths. an example is the Son Agro bulb.

If selling is purpose, I can make it a lot easier for you. at what "age" do you want to sell your plants? some bulbs are excellent for a specific period of time.

Hi Omri,

you seem to know quite a bit about lighting, can you give me some advice please...

so here's what i got... a grow tent, tray, pots, and coco coir for the medium... i'm going to hand feed them ( how often i dont know yet as this is my first time, any help with that would be cool as well..lol ), the only problem i have is what light to get for the tent, there are so many to choose and it confuses the hell out of me when you guys start talking about lumens and lux and blah blah blah, i am very ignorant to all that jazz and would just like to know what kinda light would be ideal to just plug in, set it on a timer, and watch the plants from start to finish.... any ideas ?

Hotpeppa said:
Hi Omri,

you seem to know quite a bit about lighting, can you give me some advice please...

so here's what i got... a grow tent, tray, pots, and coco coir for the medium... i'm going to hand feed them ( how often i dont know yet as this is my first time, any help with that would be cool as well..lol ), the only problem i have is what light to get for the tent, there are so many to choose and it confuses the hell out of me when you guys start talking about lumens and lux and blah blah blah, i am very ignorant to all that jazz and would just like to know what kinda light would be ideal to just plug in, set it on a timer, and watch the plants from start to finish.... any ideas ?
http://chilebase.com/index.php/2008/03/22/5/
^ The basics. Choosing the specific bulb/setup depends on many things such as:
  • Budget
  • Number of plants
  • Type of plants
  • Duration
  • Purpose
The coco fertilizers are easy to use. there's a certain water-fertilizer ratio you use and then you simply water them when needed.

Back