• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What do you use your super hots for?

I grow mainly jalapeños, Thai type peppers, and Chiltepins. I recently bought a huge scorpion bush for 15 bucks. Its HOT, I ate one with some chicken and was sweating bullets. Its producing like crazy and Im wondering what you use these types of peppers for besides selling. Drying and crushing or what? Im not into biting into them for the joy of the pain . But I like hot stuff. Im planning on drying and crushing but Ill have ALOT. What do you guys do with them that dont plan on selling boxes of them?

Scorpion powder is good, and a little bit goes a long way in food. Also, if you smoke the peppers before you dry them you can make powder that adds a nice smoky flavor to food as well as heat.

I save them. In the freezer. In the fridge in bottles of vinegar. I sauce them. Use about 3 supers per quart. Dehydrate them. Powder them. Give them away.

Some supers are great for giving milder sauces a heat boost without a massive change in flavor. Dried Scorpions are really good for this IMO. Even fresh/frozen added to something like a ripe jala sauce its not too noticeable. You get the heat but not a ton of "that flavor" if you just use a few per quart. I mixed 2 into 12oz of Crystals and it was killer.

First year for me growing CARDI Scorpions but im quite impressed with it. Crazy hot but no terrible off flavors from it. Almost like a bhut on steroids. If you want to try a really hot cheap scorpion sauce, grab a bottle of Tropical Pepper Co Scorpion sauce. Its too salty for me but you will get a good idea what freaking hot scorpion sauce it like.

Mostly I just try to talk someone into taking a bite. I taste them, but I'm still not down till eat whole pods. Dried and powdered works great easy to control the heat and lasts well in the cabinet.

Superhots smoke well. I can make a batch with a much heavier smoke flavor which can stand up to the heat. In my case I can smoke in the offset so the pods don't cook as much.

Starting from dried pods is much simpler.

Mr.joe said:
Mostly I just try to talk someone into taking a bite. I taste them, but I'm still not down till eat whole pods. Dried and powdered works great easy to control the heat and lasts well in the cabinet.

One of my favorite things to do too. My brother falls for it every time.

My gut cant handle some stuff and fresh whole pods are the main one that kills me. After it gets past the stomach its like i got to shit for a few hours straight once the cramps kick in. Running up a flight of stairs when you got to take a dump aint easy when you got a high fiber diet. :D

Cramps from powders used in cooking are far less "explosive".

ShowMeDaSauce said:

One of my favorite things to do too. My brother falls for it every time.

My gut cant handle some stuff and fresh whole pods are the main one that kills me. After it gets past the stomach its like i got to shit for a few hours straight once the cramps kick in. Running up a flight of stairs when you got to take a dump aint easy when you got a high fiber diet. :D

Cramps from powders used in cooking are far less "explosive".

This happened to me last night for the first time. I've recently been eating one or part of one superhot with dinner almost every night. It never bothered me, but last night I ate half of a Carolina Reaper and I was feeling sick for hours. It was literally scaring me.

I guess I'd better lay off for now.

sirex said:
Eating them raw supers is for those crazy bastards not me. However, I truly truly appreciate those crazy bastards and their opinions of the taste of the raw supers. I

I will taste a raw super. But just a small sliver.
Wood toothpick, stick into pepper,
remove,  put on tongue.
Feel what you are dealing with before
trying the slice  :)

I give some to  a guy that owns a deli,
he eats 2-4 a day raw,
but he shares them with customers,
trying to convince them to try them,
he tells them they are super hot.

Surprisingly,  lots of people try,
some even become regulars and
challenge themselves often.
Lots of beer or milk drinking going on to cool themselves off.

I like to eat fresh superhots with some of my meals. Got some Chocolate Scorpions growing this season and have been eating half a pepper at the end of my meals. It is nice getting to taste the various flavors that come with different peppers.

Walchit said:
I like breaking them open and rubbing them on the underwear at walmart

Walmart will track your undies

fea14_man_girdle3_03-14-2009_M8FKDUV_t300.jpg

Interesting.....

Yesterday I ground some dried pods and I was amazed at the heat. I thought these were fatalis, but maybe they're reapers. 

I'll be using SMALL amounts of that in seasonings, and I'm sure to have heat for a year. 

Back