• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What happens if...

Ok. Weird question...

I have a few seeds in some containers to start, nothing big. However, let's say in one of those cups (a 2" seedling cup) I have 3 seeds and don't thin them out when they get going. Will they fuse into one plant or will they choke each other out?

I believe they will all grow but not very big they will all get root bound three times as fast and once they get all tangled up it would be a lost cause trying to seperate the roots.

they will grow like they are seperate but like podpiper said they will just get rootbound and not do as well as they would if they were in seperate pots .
If you are into weird plants try grafting 3 pepper plants onto one stem...
can be done and will look real cool.

They will grow normally....when they get their "true" leaves carefully separate them into individual cups....I did this with my 7-Pods and they turned out fine.

Experimanted with tomatos last year. Two in one pot and one in another. Under the same exact conditions the two together produced roughly the same as the single plant. So basicly i got the same amount per pot.

the roots will become intertwined, i don't know about strangling... two plants means half the space for each so they'll grow like they're in a smaller pot (plants reeeeally grow to the size of their pot...). i'll put two in one just to make sure i get at least one plant per pot without having to reseed but then when they both have their first leaves i just snip the least robust looking one at the soil level.

I plant alot of pubescence species with two plants to a pot to help pollination. I start alot of plants like that but most of my stuff go into the ground. I think its more of a matter of if the plant gets enough water and nutrients. 2 plants in a 12 ich pot would do ok. asuming it also got plenty of light and plenty of nutrients. commercial growers use and dope growers do it, but a;lot of that is hydroponics which allows you to use smaller spaces anyhow.

Thanks everyone. I was just curious as to what to expect. Due to my lack of starting containers, I planted several seeds in the same container (same species/same container) to give me better chances of having a healthy plant from each variety.

Back