• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What hath I wrought? Soapy Pumpkin Peppers

I'm pretty sure these were supposed to be Datil peppers. But they look like droopy pumpkin costumes and taste kind of like soap. Is it just too early? Did I screw them up? Was I sent droopy pumpkin costume peppers instead of datil?

Fully willing to admit guilt in this one, the winter was not kind to my plants, despite only getting down to about 50 degrees in L.A. Also, it's likely that I did everything wrong from the start. Are these wrecked up datils? 

Attachments

• pepper1.jpg
    pepper1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 96
  • pepper2.jpg
    pepper2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 83
I think that is not a Datil plant. The pod shape looks more typical of a baccatum variety than a chinense to me. Also the fact that you seem to be getting only one pod per node supports the idea that it is not a chinense. Also, the soapy taste is a characteristic that some baccatums can sometimes have. So I think it is likely that you were sent an unknown baccatum pepper instead of a Datil. But you can really tell for certain by looking at the flowers. Baccatum flowers have distinctive green or gold markings that chinenses do not have.

I'll post a pic of the flowers tomorrow. Side note: some of my other plants definitely produced stunted peppers on the first batch this year. We're talking Anaheims shaped like cherries and crooked weird paprikas. The second flush of fruit is looking more normal now that summer has kicked in, and after making some improvements to the soil and pot size.

dbtothapepps said:
I'm pretty sure these were supposed to be Datil peppers. But they look like droopy pumpkin costumes and taste kind of like soap. Is it just too early? Did I screw them up? Was I sent droopy pumpkin costume peppers instead of datil?

Fully willing to admit guilt in this one, the winter was not kind to my plants, despite only getting down to about 50 degrees in L.A. Also, it's likely that I did everything wrong from the start. Are these wrecked up datils?

Soapy tasting peppers have been reported many t times, click here for one of them.>Soapy Baccatum Taste

Here's a pic of the flower. I also attached a pic of a yellow version of this, which would have come from the same seed packet. It tastes a little less like soap but appears to be the same pepper.

I got these from Trade Winds.

Attachments

• pepper3.jpg
    pepper3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 81
  • pepper4.jpg
    pepper4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 73
Yep definitely a baccatum. The corolla on the flower is a dead giveaway. Looking at the Trade Winds website, it looks like you got a mislabeled Bishop's Hat.

Disappointing that Trade Winds messed up like that. I've had excellent experience with them for non-pepper seeds. Maybe shoot them an email and see if they make it right.

Is it possible that this is a messed up Sugar Rush Peach? It doesn't look like the ones I've seen, but I do have a packet of those seeds.

They do resemble the Bishop's Hat/Chapeau de Bispo, but they also look smaller. Some of the Bishop's Hat I've seen online fit in the palm of the hand, whereas mine are just a little bigger than cherries. But a lot of my other peppers were small this year, so, maybe it's related to that.

Anyways, guess there'll be no Datil peppers this year. Kind of disappointing, since I have like 8 more plants just now growing. What am I going to do with all these soapy Bishop's Hats lol.

hello
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Never heard it called Chapéu de Bispo pepper - Thanks 4 that!
:P  it´s like the brazilian and portuguese colled it's the translation Bishop's Hats in Portuguese

dbtothapepps said:
They do resemble the Bishop's Hat/Chapeau de Bispo, but they also look smaller. Some of the Bishop's Hat I've seen online fit in the palm of the hand, whereas mine are just a little bigger than cherries. But a lot of my other peppers were small this year, so, maybe it's related to that.

Anyways, guess there'll be no Datil peppers this year. Kind of disappointing, since I have like 8 more plants just now growing. What am I going to do with all these soapy Bishop's Hats lol.

The plant is small to. my plants some have big fruits others have fruits the size of a finger it's normal

It looks a little less pumpkiny and flat than the orange starfish, but who knows? If it crossed with something, the only peppers I have are cayenne, sugar rush peach, and paprika. And the datils I thought I planted but have yet to see. I don't really know anything about cross-pollinating, so dunno if that happened. They are all right next to each other.

Something else to note is the thin skin on these puppies. It's almost like squash skin...less gelatinous looking than pepper skins. I'll get a pic when I cut one up later today.

Back