• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What I'm going to do on my summer vacation

Ok, I think this is the final list of varieties. I'm not sure yet how many of each I will be growing.

Capsicum baccatuum

1. Aji Angelo
2. Aji de la Tierra
3. Brazilian Pumpkin
4. Earbob
5. Guyana PI199506
6. Heart Throb
7. Kaleidoscope
8. Lemon Drop
9. Queen Laurie
10. Chaco Yellow
11. Ethiopian Brown
12. Aji Rojo (chileplants.com)
13. Aji Rojo (thechilewoman.com)
14. Aji Rojo (Pepper Gal)
15. Aji Cito
16. Aji Polumbo
17. Inca Berry
18. Aji Benito
19. Aji Colorado
20. Cobanero
21. Aji Panca
22. Bishop’s Crown
23. Dedo De Moca
24. Pilange
25. Criolla Sella

Capsicum chinense

1. Grenada Seasoning
2. Habanero Adalberto
3. Habanero Chocolate
4. Limon
5. Pimiento de Chiero
6. Tobago Seasoning
7. Trinidad Seasoning
8. Trinidad Perfume
9. Caribbean Red
10. Zavory
11. Bolivian Habanero

Capsicum annuum

1. Hawaiian Sweet Hot
2. Piment 'd Espelette
3. Fish
4. Alma Paprika
5. McMahon’s Bird Pepper
6. Cherry Chocolate
7. Corno Di Toro Red
8. Corno Di Toro Yellow
9. Figero
10. Melrose
11. Tangerine (Pimento)
12. Sheepnose Pimento
13. Tequila Sunrise
14. Tolli’s Sweet Italian
15. Fruit Basket (hybrid)
16. Redskin (hybrid)
17. Mohawk (hybrid)

Unsure, probably annuum
1. BVI Pumpkin
2. Cheiro Recife
3. Permavelha

Edit: Well, shoot, it screwed with my formatting. I had the baccatuum and chinense list side by side to make the post shorter.

wordwiz said:
Pam,

Two of each will get you into the Century Club! But what about veggies?

Mike

Well, obviously, I don't need two of each. For example, one Lemon Drop is the greatest of plenty, as is one Limon, one Pimiento De Chiero, etc.

Anyway, I an also growing 30 some tomato plants - haven't counted them yet - two kinds of beets, two kinds of egg plants, about 5 kinds of lettuce, and several squashes. And the herbs, of course, I don't count them as part of the vegetable garden. And then there are the flowers...

great variety Pam...of all the ones you listed the Alma Paprika is my favorite stuffing pepper....mmmmmmmm good...

AlabamaJack said:
great variety Pam...of all the ones you listed the Alma Paprika is my favorite stuffing pepper....mmmmmmmm good...

Yes, they are great for stuffing, and the Cherry Chocolates aren't too shabby either. The Pilange peppers are small, but that makes them perfect bite-sized appetizers straight off the grill.

Wonderful list of peppers! I'd really like to visit and share ideas and plants and pods this summer. Really happy to have a master gardener like yourself so close to home. South Carolina in the house!

Pam said:
Anyway, I an also growing 30 some tomato plants - haven't counted them yet - two kinds of beets, two kinds of egg plants, about 5 kinds of lettuce, and several squashes. And the herbs, of course, I don't count them as part of the vegetable garden. And then there are the flowers...

What about the green beans, peas, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage?

I like eggplants but no one else in the family does so I'm not going to use up valuable space this year. Ditto for squashes though I may try a couple of zucchini - Linda loves them.

Mike

wordwiz said:
What about the green beans, peas, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage?

I like eggplants but no one else in the family does so I'm not going to use up valuable space this year. Ditto for squashes though I may try a couple of zucchini - Linda loves them.

Mike

Beans and peas are so easy to come by at the Farmer's Market that I don't usually grow any. Sometimes I'll put in a few early peas, but they're done down here by May because of the heat. I don't usually grow squash because of problems with the squash vine borer, but I'm going to net a small bed this spring and try a yellow squash, a zucchini, and a winter squash as an experiment.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Wonderful list of peppers! I'd really like to visit and share ideas and plants and pods this summer. Really happy to have a master gardener like yourself so close to home. South Carolina in the house!

Yeah, we need to get together at some point. I'm just hoping the job doesn't get in the way of the garden again this year. We're supposed to be past all that, but last week was kind of an ugly reminder of how quickly my time can vanish.

So Pam what is it you're doing on you're summer vacation, planting or harvesting these plants?
Your baccatuums must have done well last year, you seem to really enjoy them now.
Can you tell me about the seasoning peppers you've grown, and what the differences are between the tobago and trinidad types that you have? I think you mentioned it before, but me remember bad.

I shall be planting and harvesting. Hopefully the harvesting will continue well into the fall, and *fingers crossed* through the winter for at least a couple of plants. That's the reason for the Aji Rojo from three different sources.

I have always liked the baccatuums, and I have always been impressed by their hardiness and productivity. I decided to go with so many because I found I used far more of them last summer than anything else. The heat level of the hot baccatuums is about as hot as I'm comfortable using on a daily basis, and the milder ones give me more options when I'm cooking for others. I want a few of the hotter habs, but I just don't use them everyday. And the superhots were just a novelty, they're too hot for me to use more then a few, so I'm not going to waste space on them.

On the spice peppers, I want to compare the Trinidad Seasoning to the Zavory. It seems a bit coincidental to me that suddenly I can't get Trinidad Seasoning plants, but everyone has the Zavory. And their pictures look the same.

The Trinidad Seasoning peppers I grew were fleshier than the Tobago Seasoning peppers, and smoother, less hab-wrinkly. The also had a sweet fruity taste as opposed to the Tobago Seasoning's hab fruity taste. Some of the Trinidad Seasoning peppers have no heat at all, too; while the Tobago Seasoning give you at least a little tingle. Here's a picture of the two, with the Trinidad Seasoning pepper on the left, and Tobago Seasoning on the right.

TSTS4098.jpg

Do as she says penny. I stuck around through the summer and now I keep building bigger chambers so I can get more plants going for summer.

Pam...I had some Yellow Tobago Seasoning ones this past season :shocked: ...came in a pack from Trini with the Reds and were just labelled Tobago Seasoning...the ones I grew had absolutely no heat, not even a tingle.. :)

Back