• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What invisible beastie is munching on my pepper plants???

I need some guidance from more experienced pepper growers.

I have a fair amount of gardening experience but this is my first foray into container grown hot pepper plants. I am located in Bradenton Florida.  The plants are being grown in containers on my pool deck.  There are a total of 10 with 9 species. Most are BonniePlant Starts.  A couple came from a local grower.  All are set up in a very rich and loose potting mix with lots of compost.  By luck, they are getting, what should be, optimal sun  (8:AM till aboy 2:00 PM).  Growth has been good since purchase and repotting about a month ago.

Here is my problem.  About two weeks ago, I noticed a few chew marks and holes in one of the Tabascos.  The odd thing is that there is still another Tabasco within a couple of feet of the one with the issues that does not have a mark on it.   The Tabasco is the worst one.  The other two with some damage are two different species of Jalapenos.  I initialy tried insecticidal soap which seemed to have no effect.  About a week ago, on the recommendation of a friend, I tried Safer Brand Tomato and Vegetable spray( Pyrethrin and pottasium salt)  this also had little or no effect.

I have gone out every night after dark and checked the plants with a flashlight and have not managed to locate a single varmint.  I am trying to avoid chemically bombing the afflicted plants but I hate to see them eaten down to nothing.  

Any help or input would be much appreciated.

I have included  links to pics of the problem children  

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/Suncoast1991/Tabasco_zpsusbmomrr.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/Suncoast1991/Giant%20Jalapeno_zps0mm8h7eh.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/Suncoast1991/Jalapeno_zpse8vfml07.jpg

Suncoast said:
Any help or input would be much appreciated.
Sorry, no help on the issue but I'll post your pics....

Tabasco_zpsusbmomrr.jpg

Giant%20Jalapeno_zps0mm8h7eh.jpg

`
Jalapeno_zpse8vfml07.jpg

If you can buy slug pellets I would get some and place a handful round the base of the plant.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Question...would the slugs or snails be that difficult to find?   I will defintely try the pellest though

Suncoast said:
Question...would the slugs or snails be that difficult to find?   I will defintely try the pellest though

They're going to be out when the lights are not...  Early evening they might show up, or after rains.  And of course, anytime during the night.
Usually, they leave some sort of shiny slime trail - like a dried snot wipe on a shirt sleeve looking thing - and often, they make little curly poops on the leaves.
It's possible that this may not be snails or slugs, but that's my first guess, based on the fact that the chewing starts inside the boundary of the leaves, rather than on the edges. (for the most part, anyway)  I keep a blacklight flashlight for finding these little problems...

Suncoast said:
What would you suggest as my next treatment option?

I don't like to rush to a treatment, so take my advice as you will...
For me, that plant doesn't look bad.  It's not infested, it's just got a few bites.  Still perfectly healthy.  If it were my plant, I'd put a copper ring around the base of the plant, to discourage snails and slugs.  That is virtually free, can be reused, and there's no worry about interactions or mis-application.  You can make it by bending a flat strip of copper around a pipe, or bending soft copper conduit around the same.  3" diameter.  It's a proven snail and slug deterrent.
For anything else, I'd not do anything, until I caught something in the act.  But that's just me.  I don't like taking blind stabs or carpet bombing everything.  I'd just let it ride, for now, personally.

if they are snails or slugs you should see their slimy trails left behind. Check on the plants a couple hours after dark with a flash light.

I have gone out and checked the afflicted plants a couple of time a night with a flashlight and I have not seen a single critter.  I have also put a couple of saucers of beer out and not snagged anything.  I am familiar with slug and snail tracks and have not seen anything on the leaves, pots or surrounding pavers.  I have also, carefully, dug down about an inch in the potting mix and not found a thing

It's frustrating...if I could identify the culprit, it would give me some direction

Suncoast said:
I have gone out and checked the afflicted plants a couple of time a night with a flashlight and I have not seen a single critter.  I have also put a couple of saucers of beer out and not snagged anything.  I am familiar with slug and snail tracks and have not seen anything on the leaves, pots or surrounding pavers.  I have also, carefully, dug down about an inch in the potting mix and not found a thing

It's frustrating...if I could identify the culprit, it would give me some direction
Honestly, it's really not a bad problem right now. Stay calm, and just keep observing...

Well, the problem is getting worse.  I have been out there several times each evening looking the plants that are afflicted over and still can't find the culprit.  

Any suggestions are welcome

There's a chance there's nothing now ...

If I had to guess, I'd suggest that they are the current appearance of a smaller hole punched or burned into the leaves at an earlier time ...

I've had leaves touch down to the soil in heavy rain, and then days later show holes from getting chemically burned by soil amendment ...

Less likely, but - is there an unintentional lens nearby? ... a thermometer, some wall art, or anything like that? ...

Getting to unmarred fruit in Florida is an achievement, and they look like they're doing pretty well ...

My recommendation would only be to focus on promoting health and growth, despite the constant pestilence and scourge ...

The best thing that ever happened to my plants (which I stopped growing years ago) was when I started brewing compost tea and both feeding and spray the leaves with it ...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32001-beginners-guide-to-aactcompost-tea/?hl=%20compost%20%20tea

http://a.co/aNwmhmk

Suncoast said:
Well, the problem is getting worse.  I have been out there several times each evening looking the plants that are afflicted over and still can't find the culprit.  

Any suggestions are welcome

Pictures?

Back