• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What invisible beastie is munching on my pepper plants???

Updated pics

20170407_102340_zpsyhqssqn9.jpg
20170407_102326_zpscoys6jb5.jpg
20170407_102344_zpsvydggio5.jpg

2 questions -
1) you're not seeing any kind of poop on any of the leaves?
2) what is the spotting on your leaves - what have you sprayed that's leaving residue?
Regardless of how you answer that, I'm almost certain that you have a worm in your container. (a climbing cutworm or else a green worm that blends)
Do you have access to food grade Diatomaceous Earth? (DE)  If not, do you have access to a blacklight?

solid7 said:
2 questions -
1) you're not seeing any kind of poop on any of the leaves?
2) what is the spotting on your leaves - what have you sprayed that's leaving residue?
Regardless of how you answer that, I'm almost certain that you have a worm in your container. (a climbing cutworm or else a green worm that blends)
Do you have access to food grade Diatomaceous Earth? (DE)  If not, do you have access to a blacklight?

No poop that I have been able to see.

To date I have tried insecticidal soap, a pyrethrin based organic insecticide and one dose of Sevin

I am sure  I can come up w\ith the DE.  I might have to hunt for a blacklight

You may have already done this when checking the leaves at night, but make sure you also check under the leaves.  Often times, that's where I find the little bastards :)

Mike

Suncoast said:

No poop that I have been able to see.

To date I have tried insecticidal soap, a pyrethrin based organic insecticide and one dose of Sevin

I am sure  I can come up w\ith the DE.  I might have to hunt for a blacklight

The blacklight is the easiest way.  But if you can get the food grade DE, then you will sprinkle the top of your potting mix near the base of your plant with it, but don't water it.  Once it's wet, it's ineffective until it dries out again.
It's not a great idea to repeat sprayings on damaged foliage - especially during high periods of high humidity - due to the risk of bacterial or fungal development.   I'd keep the water in the pot, for now.

solid7 said:

The blacklight is the easiest way.  But if you can get the food grade DE, then you will sprinkle the top of your potting mix near the base of your plant with it, but don't water it.  Once it's wet, it's ineffective until it dries out again.
It's not a great idea to repeat sprayings on damaged foliage - especially during high periods of high humidity - due to the risk of bacterial or fungal development.   I'd keep the water in the pot, for now.

Sorry, I am a little unclear,  What does the DE and or the blacklight do?

mlittle74 said:
You may have already done this when checking the leaves at night, but make sure you also check under the leaves.  Often times, that's where I find the little bastards :)

Mike

I have gone over both sides each night and, actually, used a magnifying glass.  

Suncoast said:

Sorry, I am a little unclear,  What does the DE and or the blacklight do?

The blacklight illuminates them, in sharp contrast to the plant.  The DE causes them death, if they come into contact with it. (which is why it goes around the base of the plant - it's the point of entry)
I'm trying to tell you that you have some sort of nocturnal parasite, that finds its way into your potting mix during peak threat hours. (daylight)

this thread inspired me last night so I went out with my flashlight and switchblade and lopped the heads off of 50 snails and 100 plus slugs of different types.   :)

solid7 said:

The blacklight illuminates them, in sharp contrast to the plant.  The DE causes them death, if they come into contact with it. (which is why it goes around the base of the plant - it's the point of entry)
I'm trying to tell you that you have some sort of nocturnal parasite, that finds its way into your potting mix during peak threat hours. (daylight)

Excellent.  DE and a blacklight it is!

I have been having a similar problem with something eating my plants. This is the only thing I've seen on the leaves. And I've only been able to catch a few of them.
0Tgq57i.jpg

Hope y'all can see it clearly. What is it? I've searched around, but couldn't figure out exactly what it was. Army worm? Cutworm? But it seems too small. I've seen a few snails in the garden, not on the plants, though. And I haven't seen any slime trails on any of the leaves. And I've looked at each one, top and bottom, trying to find these critters.

I guess I'll go pick up some DE tomorrow, and hope it stops raining sometime. And what's the easiest, cheapest source for the copper? I know they make stuff just for this application, but is there something else I should look out for?

Jubnat said:
I have been having a similar problem with something eating my plants. This is the only thing I've seen on the leaves. And I've only been able to catch a few of them.
0Tgq57i.jpg

Hope y'all can see it clearly. What is it? I've searched around, but couldn't figure out exactly what it was. Army worm? Cutworm? But it seems too small. I've seen a few snails in the garden, not on the plants, though. And I haven't seen any slime trails on any of the leaves. And I've looked at each one, top and bottom, trying to find these critters.

I guess I'll go pick up some DE tomorrow, and hope it stops raining sometime. And what's the easiest, cheapest source for the copper? I know they make stuff just for this application, but is there something else I should look out for?

Neem oil would do the trick nicely, too.

solid7 said:

Neem oil would do the trick nicely, too.
Thanks, I've already got some of that for my citrus trees. I thought it might be overkill for this, but I'll try it out later tonight.

Jubnat said:
Thanks, I've already got some of that for my citrus trees. I thought it might be overkill for this, but I'll try it out later tonight.

Nope.  It is for anything that eats or sucks on any part of your plant.
Neem will, at best kill them, and at worst, prevent these little buggers from pupating. (while ruining their appetite, in the process)

Back