• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is it? And, is it bad?

I found a few of these fly like bugs on my fataliis today. I saw no sign of damage yet. But last year my serranos got eaten pretty bad and I never caught the culprit.

bug.jpg

Well I have something eating all my pepper plants in my raised bed. This includes my Sweet Bananas, Anchos, and Habaneros. So far my tomatoes and all my container plants are ok.

Here are the bugs I found so far.
bug2.jpg

bug3.jpg

In the second picture the bug is hiding in the red box.

First one looks like a flea beetle. The one in the red box looks like an aphid, but it's hard to see clearly since it's blending in so well.

aphids.gif

Way to big to be a flea beetle, I think... Aren't flea beetle ridiculously small? It looks a lot like a japanese beetle to me. As for the second, no idea. But again, it seems way to big to be an aphid.

You might be right...initially I thought both looked a little big, but it's hard to tell without much context. The flea beetles I get are fairly small, but easy to see with the naked eye, and all black with smaller heads, but when I googled pictures of flea beetles I found some that look at lot like that.

On second thought I don't think the other one is an aphid. Body shape is a little off, it's probably too big, doesn't have the translucent look, and the antennae are pointing forward instead of backwards. I've been googling insects for a little while and I'm stumped, I can't find anything that looks like it.

On the other hand, I was able to identify an insect I've been finding on a lot of my plants. Fortunately these nasty looking things are beneficial insects. :cool: I thought they looked like predatory insects, so I've been leaving them alone. Assassin bug:

assbugCPBside2.jpg

Requiescat in Pace. Also been finding a ton of lightning bugs on my plants, apparently the larvae eat slugs.

Thanks for the replies.

The beetle in the first picture was about the size of my pinky nail. The bug in the second picture was about 5mm long. In fact, I was trying to get a picture of the partially eaten pod, and I didn't see it there when I took the picture.

I read that plants in the nightshade family are poisonous to aphids and some other insects. That might explain why my tomatoes haven't been touched. So I'm going to brew some tomato leaf tea and spray it on the peppers in the morning.

Well, 5 mm is within the range for aphids, but I think most of the ones we see eating plants are about 1-2 mm.

Peppers are also members of the nightshade family (Solanaceae), and aphids definitely go after tomatoes as well as peppers. Supposedly tomato leaf spray is effective on aphids, yet they can eat the leaves and be fine, I'm not sure exactly how that works. :confused:

Also in my googleing I found that there are some types of fungi that kill aphids, whiteflies, mites, thrips, caterpillars, and just about every kind of pepper pest. :eek:

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/general/htms/bassiana.htm

Sounds pretty interesting and promising, but apparently is fairly expensive.

I think I found the culprit. This little guy was hiding on one of the sweet banana peppers.

DSC02833.JPG

He wasn't letting go, so I took the whole leaf and relocated it about a 1/4 mile away.

Shoulda left it. Those little eggs are parasitic wasps and once they hatch into the hornworm it stops eating. They would have protected your garden for weeks from other hornworms.

Back