• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds What is the best seed starting medium ?

mixfx.jpg

Yeah, Omri's mix looks a little heavy on the perlite for seed starting to me. I actually think Pro-Mix BX is heavy on the perlite for seed starting as well, not to mention the size of those boulders...too big. My vote is for Fafard's seed starting mix. A buddy of mine bought a big bag last year, and I much preferred it over Pro-Mix BX.

We might germinate seeds a bit differently, but I use trays with small slots. if the mix doesn't hold water well, it dries out really fast. I find it to work best.

for those that have not used Hoffmans (yes, I know, it seems I am pushing it but I am not affiliated with the company in any way), I highly recommend it...it is the lightest weight, cleanest of all the ones I have used...admittedly I have not used Fafards and after reading the ingredients, it seems very close to Hoffmans..

here is a shot of the Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix - the little chunks are just compressed peat moss

11-17-11001.jpg

A word in general about seed starting mixes...this is my opinion...I want a clean mix that is very light weight and does not hinder root growth...as most know, the bigger, better the rootball development in early stages will produce bigger, healthier plants...mixes that have small twigs, large pieces of perlite or other "stuff" makes the roots grow around them or can even prevent the "hooks" from emerging...I leave my seedlings in the mix until the first transplant and that is usually about 5-6 weeks after emergence and the rootball is very healthy and full of roots...

Everyones ideas probably work great and I have done stuff like most of you... here is what I am doing these days... I love rockwool cubes because they keep the water / air ratio good and I set the whole tray with the cubes in it on top of the refrig (to keep it warm) i fill it about 1/2 full of water with a little superthrive (1-2 drops) and put a clear lid on it...the reason i do this is because I have had slower starting varieties like Jolokia actually rot in papertowels for me (though I had added a cap of peroxide to the water that I soaked my paper towels with so go figure....cause I like the coffee filter/paper towel in a plastic bag method too and I use that for most seeds that I expect will be open an up in 3-4 days...all great information here though!....best of luck to you!....let us know how you do and what you finally go with.

Ronnie where do you buy that Hoffman's mix?

I bought it online last year...it's a lot cheaper that way than buying it locally at Archies Gardenland even with shipping...

AJ's mix looks similar to mine, I like to dampen it the night before and then lightly pack it down into the flat inserts. Which I then poke a 1/4" hole into each cell and place 1 seed (why waste 2 as some do) and then I scatter some fine mix over each hole. At that point I spray lightly with a with a water mister. I don't water with a spout, avoiding the danger of sinking the seed... :(

Omri's mix looks like the one I use for potting up.... :cool: ... heavy on the perlite, I like to saturate the soil when watering and the addition of perlite helps the excess to drain thru to the saucers. I do end up watering more frequently but it's easier to maintain, rather than trying to undo a water logged root system...

Greg

Back