• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

frutescens What is the hottest frutescens?

I'm currently doing research on frutescens, and I can't find to much info describing the hottest varieties. I'm thinking of trying to do a chinense x frutescens cross, with idea being to cross a really hot, but tasty frutescens with a super-hot landrace variety of chinense from Trinidad.

'Tabanaga' and 'baby morich' from The Hippy Seed Company in Australia are both Chinese X Frutescense

Also Rahi Seed Bank in Oz has what they call a 'yellow Tabasco'. It's NOT a Tabasco but I'm sure it's a frutescense. Either way it's got good flavour and is very instantly hot.

Vietnamese tearjerkers are great, super upfront, stingy heat. I find those capsaicinoids harder to deal with than the chinenses sometimes, despite the piddly SHU comparison.

Shima Tougarashi is a frutescens that I remember being quite hot fresh, though until summer I only have them in sauce form. They come from southern Okinawan islands. Again, really upfront and stingy.

Lotah Bih, Piri Piri types (from the right source...), Wild Grove, Rawit Setan are some at the high end spectrum.
If you don't mind growing unstable crosses 7pot x c.frutescens (see my thread) and Naga Morich x Tabasco (growing it as we speak) from JR are hotter and with a sharp/dry flavor that i prefer to classic chinense taste.

Cya

Datil

DaQatz said:
Purira are one of the hottest frutescens I know of.
I'm currently growing Purira, but it hasn't fruited yet. I started them late. I've heard that the pods are quite hot and somewhat sweet, but otherwise lack flavor. Can anyone confirm that?

They are a bit sweet. I would describe as a lot like a good ripe bell pepper. But with some flavor that reminds me of a jalapeno without it's distinctive "bitter" like edge.

Chunpepe is supposed to be a very hot frutescens. Nigel gave a very nice review of it a few years ago. I tried growing it last year but unfortunately the seeds were crossed with what appears to be a chinense. It produced pods about the size of a small naga and were very hot... about bhut level in heat.

cloudhand said:
Chunpepe is supposed to be a very hot frutescens. Nigel gave a very nice review of it a few years ago. I tried growing it last year but unfortunately the seeds were crossed with what appears to be a chinense. It produced pods about the size of a small naga and were very hot... about bhut level in heat.
Is the Chunpepe anywhere's near that heat normally? If so they are significantly hotter than a  purira.

cloudhand said:
This Chunpepe looks really interesting. I've come across a few pictures of pods described as frutescens, that are much wider, ruffled and even heart shaped. The shape and heat level of this one is really interesting. I'll have to find seeds of this one. Thanks for sharing!

Back