• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What is the oldest pepper plant you have/had?

I had some 5-6 year old plants but they seemed to do best in the first couple years so I eventually gave up on them and started new. For me overwintering used to be very easy but now I basically give up due to constant aphid invasions

I overwintered two plants this past winter for the first time, aphids claimed one and the other is doing so-so, not particularly better than my plants started from seed. I don't think I'll overwinter again unless I get a plant putting out golden pods...

I overwintered two plants this past winter for the first time, aphids claimed one and the other is doing so-so, not particularly better than my plants started from seed. I don't think I'll overwinter again unless I get a plant putting out golden pods...

I know how you feel. I had three nice Bhuts inside that died of aphid-itis. Come spring, I had only one sickly looking stick-of-a-plant left. I put her outside, and things looked good. A few little leaves tried to sprout, and then everything dried up and died. It was quite depressing.

i have a goatsweed entering its 6th year, a orange hab and tepin entering their 5th. a couple of fatalii entering their 3rd. then a bunch of bhuts, 7's & scorpions entering their 2nd.
all are container plants, in 1 gallon containers.
Wow in Canada too! Do you keep your house warm?

I live in so cal and have had a chilli pequin on its 4th season. Its been outside the whole time between my nehbors house and ours. Whats amazing is it survived the freezes last winter! Most of the top froze out but im pretty shure it will rebuild itself this season:) Speaking of wich I think im going to try and get up to go feed it! This season its been getting a load of blood meal, bone meal,3 bat guanos "nitro,phos,pota",and cotton seed meal.
Gordon

I have several plants right now in their second year, overwintered in-ground. A few years ago I had a tepin in a pot that lasted 3 years until I left it outside during an early freeze. That one came from seed from a huge wild tepin that was growing along a fence at my mom's place in Tuscon. It looked more like a climbing vine than the typical tree shaped plant. She lived there for at least 5 years and the plant was already several years old when she got there.

I have a few 4-5 year old plants that are going strong.
My dorset and fatalii are 5 years old with my BT Scorp around 4-5 years old.

Bellow is my 4-5 year old Bih, as far as I know its still growing at my old rental.

end-march-004-300x225.jpg

Well, I know this isn't fair but I have some pequins going on more than 6yrs, a tepin about the same age but not in as good shape due to it being in the wrong place. All of these are native here to South Texas and sprouted on their own or I guess maybe you could say with a little help from the Mocking birds. We really haven't had too bad of a winter in quite a while so I didn't have to try to protect them as much.

I also have a potted Bhut Jalokia on it's 3rd year and one in the ground the same age. The potted one is doing much better than the one in the ground. Hopefully, I can get some of my other plants to live as long as my pequins have.

Years ago when I was around 12 I picked up a random chili plant from mitre 10 as a seedling. Thing lasted from pot to ground and back to pot when we moved, lived about 7 or so years and ended up with a stem about 1-2 inches thick. First season only got about 50 chilies from it but by the end it was fruiting even through winter, we just couldn't kill it...

Back