• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is the optimum time...

...to harvest red Habaneros after they turn fully red? One of mine did 2 days ago and the others aren't far behind. Anybody? Thanks in advance. ;)

Depends what you are after. For heat get them early on, if you would like them sweeter the longer you leave them the sweeter they get i think.

I pick em when they're red as that is when they seem to have the best/most flavor to me, but I pick most all peppers when they're ripe as well.

Yep half green and red is good for heat...also if you want to help them get alittle hotter stress them a few days before this stage...he he he!

Well, looks like today. No water until after I cut it, in fact, another one will be ready tomorrow.
Thanks for the responses. :cheers:

They will ripen for a few days to a week after being cut off, so even if they are orange-ish to light red, if you keep them all together in a container they will ripen up to 30% more.

RichardK said:
They will ripen for a few days to a week after being cut off, so even if they are orange-ish to light red, if you keep them all together in a container they will ripen up to 30% more.

Yeah, I might take them all today. Unfortunately I've only got 4 peppers because it's too bloody hot for fruit to set. I'm praying for an early rainy season to bring down the temperatures. Thanks.

yeah, check them everyday as they start producing to hurry up and get them off the plant and make room for new ones, I always stop watering the plant when they look a week out from being ripe and wait until i'm heavily wilted and pick them right before I rewater

hotenuff4u said:
yeah, check them everyday as they start producing to hurry up and get them off the plant and make room for new ones, I always stop watering the plant when they look a week out from being ripe and wait until i'm heavily wilted and pick them right before I rewater

Mine is in a pot, so I need to be careful about water. After the last pepper is harvested (tomorrow) it's going in the ground. I've got the land for it and it will make some things easier.

Pick them just before they fully ripen for full heat or leave them a bit longer for some extra sweetness. Once fully ripe the pods will quickly start losing their heat. Personally I never let my plants get too dry and wilt, it may add heat but stressing the plant in this way will likely decrease overall production

Back