• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense What is THE spiciest strain of Trinidad Scorpion?

I know the details, I've been following the Scorpion and 7 pots for almost 10 years now, before they were even widely known about in Trinidad.
Maybe Jim believes they are the same but he's in the minority. They obviously have common ancestory but they also have a lot of obvious differences and they are both labelled by CARDI as Trinidad landrace varieties.
I prefer not to label strains like the brain strain as a 7-pot,, scorpion etc. since it is a variant/mutation and no longer a true 7-pot, but people love clumping chinenses chiles into certain categories

While we can say that all Trinidad superhots are in the same family I think that those who have bred out new varieties try to keep the name of the scorpion or 7 pot for a couple of reasons. The first is to help describe the genetics that went into the hybrid, and the second is for name recognition. I don't think anyone in the know would clump 7 pots and scorpions into different categories, it just happens naturally. People are afraid to create a new name for a hybrid strain because they might fall under greater scrutiny for it. That's how we get things like the 7 Pot White which really doesn't resemble the traits of a 7 Pot anymore at all, but has some 7 Pot genetics in it. The clumping of chili names into categories has more to do with helping the grower understand what to expect out of the fruit rather than giving it a taxonomical definition.

Of course I'm a believer that we've hybridized and mutated so many of the superhots that it's just a genetic cesspool at this point. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Brain Strain and the TSMB were created from different strains and the genetics converged back to something incredibly similar simply because all superhots are inbred to begin with.

Back