• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is the Time From Application to Effect?

I've been searching (Google) for any information about the time it takes, from application, for nutrients to show an effect in a given plant (capsicum).
Time to crank up that 'ol gray matter. :dance:
This is not to be confused with the time it takes for a wilted plant to come out of wilt after watering. Not the same thing at all.
I would guess that once applied a micronutrient would absorb within minutes to hours; but, if, due to heavy rain, the soil were "washed" (as in a potted plant) would the micronutrient application be utilized? Whew! Hope this makes some sense. :crazy:

Foliar applications work very quickly but with normal watering I think it would bepend on what type of fertilizers you're using. Water soluble nutes likely show their effects quicker than pelletized stuff that have to break down, but thats just my guess...and I think pH would be a factor too

^ Agreed; I'm using water soluble micronutrients to supplement what I suspect is missing (based on observation of leaf development) and overall health. We're in the rainy season and it rains almost every day. Today I gave a once monthly dose of MN's (soil apps) and 7 hours later we were hit by a pretty substantial rain; was that enough time for them to be EFFECTIVELY absorbed? Or, are they washed out of the pots to no effect? That's the meat of my question. Cheers.

I have to agree with POTAWIE . Anything that has to break down for the roots to absorb it will take longer. Like manure or fertilizers like lets say , Tomato- Tone , will take a while. Maybe a week to start working. And as they break down the effects should be seen more. But don't take my word on the time.

Water soluble fertilizers will work faster. And a Foliar feeding will act the fastest , but it still takes several days to see any difference for me. So what ever you use wait a while to see the effects. I think you want to wait to make sure you got the results you were looking for.

With water soluble fertilizers if you grow in containers you can flush them out if you over do things.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I use only TonatoTone (granular) and Neptune Fish+Seaweed (water soluable) so my garden might be a good test case.

I alternate. Every two weeks, first Tomatotone, then Neptune, then Tomatotone, etc.

It seems like the Neptune's produces overnight results. That is, after I fertilize with it, things do suddenly grow faster and look healthier. (I use it on everything in the garden from peppers to beans, pumpkins, lettuces, etc., and it has the same overnight beneficial effect on all plants). The fish/seaweed applied right before a heavy rainstorm will yield nearly immediate effects. I think the rainwater leeches the good stuff out of a fert and into the soil for the roots to suck up.

The TomatoTone is a much slower effect; in fact I'm not sure I could point to any particular change in the plants after laying down some TomatoTone, either a day or week later. I just know that over the course of a season peppers and tomatoes grow better if they get a heavy dose of TomatoTone at transplant and then 2 or 3 more times leading up to harvest. But I think the uptake is very gradual.

Short answer: depends on the type of fert.

The fish/seaweed applied right before a heavy rainstorm will yield nearly immediate effects. I think the rainwater leeches the good stuff out of a fert and into the soil for the roots to suck up.

I've used scotts 10-10-10 granulated for years and the plants that get it just spring up after a good rain (Sometimes you can almost see them growing while the rain is pouring down).

I will say that since the rainy season has started, that alone seems to have invigorated my plants; they really love it.

Hey verne...just stoping into your thread to say hey. No real input other than don't over do the ferts with those little plants...them lil' buggers are fragile till they grow up some. STILL haven't got down to the post office to get the package. Grrrr...it closes at 5 and I dont get out of work till 5. gonna have to sneak out one day early.

Hey verne...just stoping into your thread to say hey. No real input other than don't over do the ferts with those little plants...them lil' buggers are fragile till they grow up some. STILL haven't got down to the post office to get the package. Grrrr...it closes at 5 and I dont get out of work till 5. gonna have to sneak out one day early.

Thanks for the heads up; I was wondering. If this works then we have a way to get seeds into the U.S. (Hawaii anyway). :woohoo:

You are all correct, it is difficult to determine a time frame for adsorption of the nutrient by the plant post application because it depends on many factors:
1. Type and form of nutrient, CaSO4 (water soluble form of calcium) versus CaCO3 (calcitic lime) and the form they are in peletized versus granular.
2. pH of the soil, metals tend to be more soluble in acid versus alkaline soils.
3. Type of soil, more clay you have and type of clay you have will affect the retention (ultimately the slow release) of nutrients, this too is affected by pH.
4. Type of application, foliar, broadcast, band (latter two are topdressing of nutrient solution on soil).
5. Amount of hydration, certain nutrients (nitrate, potassium, CaCl, for example) are very soluble and will leach, but this too depends on all of above.
6. How the plant takes the nutrient up, does it have to search out the nutrient (in the case of insoluble or slightly soluble forms) or will the nutrient seek out the root due to diffusion. Diffusion versus mass flow.
7. Environmental conditions, if for instance the wind is blowing and the humidity is low then the plants will transpire (emit water from stomata (little openings for gas and H20 exchange in the leaves)) at a higher rate which will pull more water and hence water soluble (diffusion control) nutrients to the roots and into the plant.

In a more controlled environment such as a container, I would bet that you would certainly see an affect rather quickly.

Thanks for the replies; I figured there wasn't a definitive answer, but I didn't know.
It's pretty obvious when a plant is wilting for a lack of water; the response is fairly quick after watering. For nutes; patience is a requirement.
And I might add; so is astute observation. Cheers.

take a celery stalk place into glass of water add three drops of black or dark blue ink sit there and watch the intake of the colors should answer some of your question

take a celery stalk place into glass of water add three drops of black or dark blue ink sit there and watch the intake of the colors should answer some of your question

But that only shows water uptake; not the utilization of nutrients on the cellular level. Cheers.

Back