• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat What is the world's hottest?

Ashen said:
I have to agree with geeme. A much more interesting question these days is what is the best tasting superhot. The crosses that D3monic is working on sound so good, especially that painapple.

Yes flavor over heat any day of the week for me. If you want heat add a few drops of pure evil lol.

Ashen said:
I have to agree with geeme. A much more interesting question these days is what is the best tasting superhot. The crosses that D3monic is working on sound so good, especially that painapple.

SavinaRed said:

Yes flavor over heat any day of the week for me. If you want heat add a few drops of pure evil lol.

Yep, even the less hyped superhots are PLENTY hot. I'd really like try a Datil crossed with with a brain strain. That fruity Datil flavor is tough to beat. 

On Heat: I do not have a gas cromo whatjamagig and my tongue falls asleep somewhere after ghost.  But I remember and believe something I think someone from Hippy Seed said about the run off of a worm farm.  Not so much the worm run off, but the idea that the Butch T could one year overtake the Reaper again.  Essentially, that it is not all DNA.  When you think on how close some of the ranges are, you can see overlap and plenty of room for tweaking.

On Puking: You just gave me a great idea.  Silly me growing peppers to help pay for medication that makes me puke.  I'll just start video taping the puking part.

Sincerity: I think I read someone else in this thread saying something about harsh medication.  Making light of it helps, but if you want to talk, feel free to PM me.  I am fairly open and remain sane only because I know other sick folk.

So, what's the deal with runoff from the worm farm?  Something in the worm castings/tea that helps the pods produce more cap, or something else..?  Red wigglers are about the easiest pets one could ever hope to keep, and they do wonders for one's garden.  Do they also contribute to the burn?

Bicycle808 said:
So, what's the deal with runoff from the worm farm?  Something in the worm castings/tea that helps the pods produce more cap, or something else..?  Red wigglers are about the easiest pets one could ever hope to keep, and they do wonders for one's garden.  Do they also contribute to the burn?
Check out this link and the source, seems like there might be something to it:

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2011/04/worlds-hottest-chilli-grown-by-aussies-(1)/

Guinness says it's the Reaper; other folks say otherwise.  I've read that Moruga Scorps average highest, consistently.  Like most sensationalism, there is a lot of contention and conjecture going on.  suffice it to say, there are dozens of chiles out there that pack more than enough SHU to tear ya up.  Choose your favorite one of those, I guess.

charlie5heen said:
OK so which pepper do you guys think is the hottest?

The Chile Pepper Institute of the New Mexico State University says Moruga Scorpion,
The Guinness Book of World Records says Carolina Reaper

However, the Guinness record is based on an AVERAGE.  The two are close enough that simply changing the size of the sample could put Moruga Scorpion on top again.  Additionally, the Carolina Reaper was not grown in the same conditions and compared to others grown in the same manner.  The tests conducted by the New Mexico State University tested peppers against each other which were grown in the same soil and same climate.

I do not think the question can be answered easily.  Certainly there are cultivars that are at the top end.  But if everyone tested their peppers every season, there would probably be a new champion every couple of years. 

Example: Last year someone tested the Primo and Reapers I grow,  They were damn near the same.  That means Primo beat out most of the previous Guinness book titles prior to the Reaper but you have never seen in in that frigging book. 

Browns > Reds 

Round > Long

The scientific tests have a range of error.  Lots of factors can play into the measured potency including potential human error. 

I grew reapers last year and they had a pretty good burn.  But I tend to get more bang for my buck out of wrinkly Trinidad types that have more of a blocky looking bottom rather than a thin tail.  I always find that golf ball shaped peppers are the best and browns are better than reds.     

MulchyDreams said:
Browns > Reds 

Round > Long

On round, I wonder if that is because the placenta is mostly at the top,  So a shorter pepper would have more placenta per mass?

I think perhaps the ones that have a round tight bunch of seeds rather than a drawn out string like found in the ghost pepper are much better.

I just did a review of the two types of browns I grew this year. Ate Both of them with a meal. Both came out round and wrinkled with inward indents where a tail would be. One weighed nearly 10 grams and one nearly 7 grams. Both packed with tightly bunched seeds. The larger one had a mustard yellow layer of oil on the inner skin and the small wasn't so yellow. The small had me sweating a bit but the large had me rocking and rolling...a whole different league. I thought my tolerance was too high to have a pepper burn me like that. I took 4 days off of eatting superhot peppers beforehand though.

AJ Drew said:

Example: Last year someone tested the Primo and Reapers I grow,  They were damn near the same.  That means Primo beat out most of the previous Guinness book titles prior to the Reaper but you have never seen in in that frigging book. 

We've also never seen the Naga Viper in there, which is odd given that, despite controversy over its early ratings (3 million my ass), it's still a damn hot pepper.
At some point I'm going for a challenge curry that contains "the guinness book of world records' six hottest chillies" but the more I research it the more it sounds like there might be Habaneros in there. Guinness misses so much.

IMO The Guinness records is fun but it kind of ruined the superhot scene by declaring a "winner" I've had reapers and they are good but I haven't had one yet that I'd say is better than a good brown. Seems every commercial farmer now days only grow reapers. Should have just called it "trinidad pepper" which is what it is and the record wouldn't have caused so much problems.

Back