• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what is this egg cluster?

hey all, so..what do you think this egg cluster is? kinda looks like praying mantis..which i don't think would harm a pepper plant..but nonetheless, don't like it  :shame: (found on my serrano)

DSCN6539.jpg

You can't possibly expect anybody around here to take a course of action that might contribute to the actual advancement of knowledge, can you? Otherwise, what good will internet forums be?

Letting eggs hatch in a jar would result in learning, whereas posting the question in the forum could result in a long drawn out topic. Priorities.

Justaguy said:
For knowledge and future reference put in a container and let hatch outside. Then let us know. In the container it will be easier to kill them if bad.

Great suggestion!!

solid7 said:
You can't possibly expect anybody around here to take a course of action that might contribute to the actual advancement of knowledge, can you? Otherwise, what good will internet forums be?

Letting eggs hatch in a jar would result in learning, whereas posting the question in the forum could result in a long drawn out topic. Priorities.

LOL

solid7 said:

hey solid7, just asking a question bro..yah, i could keep the eggs and let 'em hatch...and still not know what the fuck they are..quit being a douchebag dude.  in the future, how 'bout:  not replying if you don't know what the fucking eggs are..?  quit being an arrogant prick

and furthermore, isn't this what the forums are all about?  a vast collective of knowledge to guide others on their path?..you want me to do science experiments for you solid7, i'll expect a f**kin hummer in return..this forum has been here for some time, and i'm sure these eggs aren't some new species, hence the question.  if no one knows what the hell they are, then i'll raise 'em up and we'll all figure it out together

Google images will let you get a pretty good idea fast, thats why i say stink bugs.
If there not lady bug, lace wings eggs or a praying mantis ootheca, its going to get crushed.

hotpeppaharry said:
hey solid7, just asking a question bro..yah, i could keep the eggs and let 'em hatch...and still not know what the f**k they are..quit being a douchebag dude.  in the future, how 'bout:  not replying if you don't know what the f**king eggs are..?  quit being an arrogant prick
That wasn't for you, but rage on, bro. If it makes you feel good.
Hybrid Mode 01 said:
I hear he uses teeth...
It's true. Then, if I don't throw it at you, and tell you to go fuck yourself, I'll put it in a jar. (maybe it will hatch?)

Lovepeppers said:
Google images will let you get a pretty good idea fast, thats why i say stink bugs.
If there not lady bug, lace wings eggs or a praying mantis ootheca, its going to get crushed.

very true, lovepeppers..just thought i'd give the knowledgeable thp members a crack at it first  :cool:

hotpeppaharry - I hope you've chilled a bit by now. Yeah, solid7's sense of humor is dry, but he was clearly making fun of statements like the one I made in general - at least, it was clear to some of us. I am not the least offended - I often want to explore things further, yet in this case don't (I've seen my share of stink bug eggs on my own plants.) It's more a statement on society in general, given the extreme dependence on the Internet that has developed, not a pointed remark aimed at one individual. Let it go. 

I agree with Justaguy's suggestion, if you have the time and interest. Most of us tend to just want a quick answer, though. You know what I find interesting? Of bugs that deposit their eggs on leaves, stink bugs always lay their eggs in extremely orderly clustered columns like that (the columns are at an angle in the photo, but they're there.) Not all bugs lay their eggs like that. Some bugs lay eggs in clusters, but they seem all jumbled up - you can't make out columns within the cluster. Others lay a few eggs here and a few eggs there, with space between. Still others lay no eggs adjacent to another. I haven't done a specific search to see if any given other types of bugs lay their eggs in ordered, clustered columns, but it would be interesting to find out if any did. Admittedly, though, I'm unlikely to test that out this year. Maybe next year.

Back