• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What is this?

Can someone tell me what this plant so I can decide whether to yank it out to make more room for veggies?

This location had an herb garden years ago so I thought it might be some kind of sage or mint but leaves have no recognizable smell other than "green" like grass. I've seen it before but I don't know what it's called.

IMG_20120510_184635_aoskkz2zr0.jpg

Also this:

Weed or herb?

IMG_20120510_184827_v260jic40c.jpg

weed or not it is pretty mint will have a square stem not sure if sage is part of the mint family but if it is sage if u rub the leaves in your hand u can tell right away i guess that goes for mint also

Thanks for the help. I figured it was some kind of sage but it has no sage smell. Like an idiot I chewed a little bit and it has no real taste either. It's nice looking so I guess it stays for now.

Flower can stay too I guess.

F
i think the first one looks like lupin flowers. if it were a sage, just rubbing the leaf would emanate the sage scent.

The flowers are similar, but the leaves don't look anything like lupin leaves. I'm pretty sure that's some kind of salvia, not sure which species. Maybe salvia nemorosa/woodland sage.

F

The flowers are similar, but the leaves don't look anything like lupin leaves. I'm pretty sure that's some kind of salvia, not sure which species. Maybe salvia nemorosa/woodland sage.

I think you are correct.

What is it with people trying random unidentified plants in their garden...? :rofl:

Well I suspected it was some kind of sage or mint (turns out it's technically both) and I only chewed a tiny piece briefly before spitting it out so it's not like I made a salad out of it. Even the world's most deadly plants would require me to ingest about 100x the amount of sage I chewed on.

Hope that didn't sound the wrong way... it just appears to be a very common practice among the folks here and I find it funny. Heck, I've been guilty of it myself. ;)

Hope that didn't sound the wrong way... it just appears to be a very common practice among the folks here and I find it funny. Heck, I've been guilty of it myself. ;)

Well it's generally a dumb idea but that never stops me. I don't actually eat random plants, just a tiny sample. If you're ever faced with a starvation situation, eat bugs. You're much less likely to poison yourself eating bugs instead of plants or mushrooms. :P

Sage leaves are usually wider and more rounded at the tips. Looks like Catmint to me. 2nd one looks like a weed we get around here, not sure of the name.

Back