• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What is your favorite pepper in terms of taste (doesn't need to be super hot)?

Indiana_Jesse said:
Aji Amarillo, and then a whole bunch of others!
yeah i did not wanna forget about this one i love it also!! :dance: it was the first Aji i ever ate
oCaveman said:
I don't care much for most pepper flavor, but I had an Aji Pineapple a couple of days ago and it was AWESOME!  They are now on my grow list for 2014.  :)
gee i wonder where you got them from?? LOL
Sm1nts2escape said:
How can you pick only one!? My favorite superhot at the moment is the Red Brainstrain. After that is a tie between the Black Congo and 7 Pot White then the Jalabanero and Giant Mexican Rocoto then for sweet is the Corno Di Toro. I want to add more to this list.. Lol. I need a variety. They all serve a certain purpose. I haven't had a Primo yet but the Primo Powder I got from Pepperlover has a awesome flavor.
ah yes Corno De Toro, i love them and you dont hear that much about them a shame too there wonderful sweet peppers and better than any bell IMHO

thanks your Friend Joe
Trippa said:
Wild Brazil, Bhut jolokia Assam, yellow 7 pot/pod, cili goronong , Scotch bonnet TFM... (I could go on all day)
ah yes someone elso advocating for WILD BRAZIL!! +1  GOOD ON YA MATE!!!  you cant go wrong with them  and you also see you mentioned CILI GORONONG an obscurely unappreciated species, wonderful flavor very floral similar to Fatalii but not as hot

Nigel said:
Amazing, isn`t it. A number are very close, but this is my all-time favorite!
 I guess I am going to be tracking down seed for this one for this year.  Thanks Nigel :)

Editing to add that I completely forgot to post my favorites.  I was too shocked by Nigel.

Bahamian Goat Pepper, Scotch Bonnets, and a lot of baccatums.

Sweet pepper, I enjoy those ones that you can get in stores in bags with mixed colors, they are very sweet.

Hot, I haven't tried too many, and people are going to think I am crazy, but butch t. I don't know if I got a mutant, or mislabeled scorpion, but the ones I've tried tasted super fruity, like a gum almost.

I have a LOT of new ones I'll be trying this year, mostly thanks to GH, so this may change in a few months!

I love the jalapeno. Such a nice tasting pepper with a slight amount of heat to satisfy the pallet. The best tasting superhot IMO is the 7-pot jonah, which I just recently reviewed. A really sweet, berry-like taste that is really delicious. 

I love the jalapeno. Such a nice tasting pepper with a slight amount of heat to satisfy the pallet. The best tasting superhot IMO is the 7-pot jonah, which I just recently reviewed. A really sweet, berry-like taste that is really delicious.

I really enjoy jalapenos, but I've never got to try a fresh one that was ripe. Always green. Got one on my small jalapeno plant ripening right now, within a day or two I'll finally get to try one.

Spysee - when that Jalapeno gets a nice red.... let it go another 3-4 days, then try it.  It will be even better!

I like this thread.  I do most of the cooking and gardening here at home, but Duane's starting to really get a feel for the timing of meals and has made a few on his own (not always on time, but he's improving there).  If I had to pick just one pepper that he grows, I'd pick one that I can't easily find at the store and that would  be the Billy Biker Jalapeño F1. He grows a lot of these so he can make a lot of poppers.  For the Superbowl, he didn't have a lot of time, so he didn't smoke them, instead he roasted them in the oven and they still turned out great.  He found the recipe here a few years ago.  I forget who it was, but it's the bacon-wrapped one with a cream cheese filling that includes roasted Anaheims.

I really like Golden Lantern Hab, Yellow Cayenne, and Lemon Drop for dried powders.  I use them quite often in marinades and I put the Yellow Cayenne in dark chocolates that I make for Duane.

I like Tolli's Sweet Italian, Golden Greek Pepperoncini, Friariello, and Padrone for frying and pickling.  I keep hoping to find a really prolific Shepherd type for the numerous dishes I make that use a sweet bell.  Bells will not turn from green in our climate and there are many times when a vegetative green flavour won't do.

I also love to make Asian dishes and I've expanded the Asian vegetables part of the garden a fair bit.  I love Prik Maan, Thai Yellow, Thai Orange, Korean Dark Green, Korean Salad, and Lombok Orange quite a bit for anything from salads to hot pots to stir fries.  I'm hoping that Duane can find Hanoi Market and Thai Dragon to try next year.

I use Peach Habanero exclusively for sweet jellies like Habanero Gold and Golden Raspberry-Peach Hab jellies.  I really like the colour, but it also seems to pair quite well with fruit.

I could write a ton about the Mexican chilies, but my favourite for recipes apart from the poppers, is Fresno.  I really love that pepper in things like Tamale Pie and Enchiladas.

You'll notice I have nothing to say about those super-hots.  I don't use them at all.  That's Duane's domain.  It's just too much for me to handle.  He has to prep them and cook them downstairs - otherwise I cough up a lung.

Nowadays I prefer:

Peach Bhut Jolokia's aroma when dried 
Peach_Bhut_Jolokia_209days_pods_forming2.jpg

Peach_Bhut_Jolokia_211days_ripe_pod2.jpg

Peach_Bhut_Jolokia_ripe_pod_half_sliced_inside.jpg

Habanero El Remo when eaten fresh 
nyam.gif

(a cultivar from Canary Islands with low heat level) 
Habanero_El_Remo_145days_ripe_pods.jpg

Habanero_El_Remo_145days_ripe_pods3.jpg

Habanero_El_Remo_145days_ripe_pod3.jpg

Habanero_El_Remo_145days_ripe_pod4.jpg

Habanero_El_Remo_145days_ripe_pods4.jpg

For 2012 it was the Aji Chanca Yellow.

It has both a "Baccatum" and "yellow" flavor, so it was a winner for me. It holds the same flavor and crunch even when pickled. They are fast growers, it wouldn't be too late to start them, even in March. The hottest ones were no spicier than a serrano, most were only half as spicey. Removing the placenta, or pickling, them makes them mild enough even for kids.

The plant gets 5 times larger and way more productive than the one in this pic: http://www.thechilliman.biz/Baccatuum%20Species.htm

Back