• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is your favourite medium pepper??

Grass Snake said:
Beni Highlands which is way underrated IMO

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Beni Highlands and Aji Arnaucho are both great mid heat peppers that are much milder than a standard orange hab. Very very productive and easy to grow too. Several baccatums fit that bill as well. Next year im trying sugar rush peach.

To me HOT starts at orange hab or slightly less.

Walchit said:
Who's got the best Beni highlands seeds?

HA I was remembering Beaglestorm's review of Beni Highlands. Wish that dude would poke his head around here every once in a while.

https://youtu.be/nwAncsIjlGQ

I would guess my Beni Highlands ran as low as 30K SHU for early pods and probably all were 60-80K or less. Hint of citrus and not very floral. Aji Arnaucho were a bit milder on average but they have several ripening stages with slightly different flavors. The Beni kinda sucked unless completely ripe but they ripen fast. Both produced quite a few pods over the whole season and even tolerated cooler temps at the end fairly well. Both also tolerated our summer heat really well. Flower loss was very minimal.

Datil peppers and its not even close. Datils have a very strong and unique flavor and are more pungent than anything Ive grown (and Ive grown pretty much every major variety)

FloridaCracker said:
Datil peppers and its not even close. Datils have a very strong and unique flavor and are more pungent than anything Ive grown (and Ive grown pretty much every major variety)

Thanks for your opinion.... i will be adding these to my next shopping list.

I don't have much experience growing hot peppers and i don't handle super hot or even medium hot very well but i know some asian people that claim they love super hot peppers.
I have some Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers for my super hot and  4 types of Habaneros for a medium hot (super hot for me) selection.

Dr. Weird said:

Thanks for your opinion.... i will be adding these to my next shopping list.

I don't have much experience growing hot peppers and i don't handle super hot or even medium hot very well but i know some asian people that claim they love super hot peppers.
I have some Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers for my super hot and  4 types of Habaneros for a medium hot (super hot for me) selection.
I would be happy to send you some seeds at no charge. Ive been growing heirloom datils here in Florida for many years

The Hot Pepper said:
Jamaican hot chocolate!!!! It makes a surreal powder, I just love it. The heat is about medium...

I'll 2nd that!

tZ0QkgU.jpg

FloridaCracker said:
I would be happy to send you some seeds at no charge. Ive been growing heirloom datils here in Florida for many years

Thank you for the generous offer, friend :)
I will decline just at the moment but maybe at a later date if the offer is still open.  :thumbsup:

I'm going to add the Jamaican Hot Chocolate to my list as well, as 2 of you folks have both recommended it.

I have had major depressive disorder for many years, with plenty of other 'features' to go along with it.... it is complete hell.
However, my growing love of having a productive food garden and diving down the rabbit hole of different heirlooms/cultivars, breeding, photography etc. etc. gives me a nice escape and is becoming somewhat of a passion.

PEACE.

If you enjoy growing for growing's same, then definitely grow those JHCs. I'm not a big fan of brown/choco chiles, but one of my best growing/producing plants my first year was a JHC. I didn't grow them this year, and I missed having them around.(and like others mentioned above, I understand they make great powder, even for folks who don't dig'm fresh...)

Good luck growing

Back