• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests What kind of bug is this???

Any guess as to what kind of bug this is?  Is it friend or foe?  I have looked all over the internet and cannot identify it.  I have had something munching my peppers and upon inspection of my plants I found an Armyworm and this guy.  He is about a half inch long and has very good eyesight.  If he sees you coming he quickly hides behind the branch.   When I attempted to grab him, he flew/jumped away and I could not find him again.  This is the second one that I have found.

Attachments

• BugCopy20180629_173949.jpg
    BugCopy20180629_173949.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 76
Not sure, but looks like a leafhopper. If it is, you don't want it near your plants. Doesn't look like anything beneficial that I know of.

Those guys will munch on your plants, but they aren't all too destructive, relative to some others. I love the fact that many of them aren't even afraid of me; they're just mildly annoyed as I flock then off a stem. They kinda just keep shooting around the stem, tryna play me out, till I actually get to make contact.

Good I hate these herbivorous bugs. I used to think insects and other terrestrial arthropods. Nowadays, I mostly just dig the predators.

Not tryna Jynx myself but I didn't have to fight aphids at ALL this season, so far. I squished a few on this one plant I have growing in a coffee can at work (more of a skirmish than a real battle; hardly qualifies as a fight)...and I realised: I haven't seen a single one on any of my personal plants. Last year, I had to fight millions...

Been running these leafhoppers off on the regular though...

The picture isn't all that clear, and it looks kinda like a click beetle.  But the behavior does, indeed, sound more like a leaf hopper.  There's like a jillion different species of the damn things, some big, some small.  And they do just what you say this one is doing.  So it's very likely that's what it is.

Bicycle808 said:
Not tryna Jynx myself but I didn't have to fight aphids at ALL this season, so far. I squished a few on this one plant I have growing in a coffee can at work (more of a skirmish than a real battle; hardly qualifies as a fight)...and I realised: I haven't seen a single one on any of my personal plants. Last year, I had to fight millions...

It's quite possible that you've just achieved optimum growth.  I'm having a particularly good grow so far, and what few plants I have out, look absolutely stunning.  And I've noticed that the healthier the plants are, the less likely they are to be overrun by nasties.  Bugs seem to love sick plants.  Healthy plants only seem to be opportunistic feeds, in my garden.

Also, if you've done a bunch of companion planting, or added diversity overall, that is another possible explanation.  It's always good to attract as much fauna as possible, when attempting to dissuade pests.

Bicycle808 said:
Those guys will munch on your plants, but they aren't all too destructive, relative to some others. I love the fact that many of them aren't even afraid of me; they're just mildly annoyed as I flock then off a stem. They kinda just keep shooting around the stem, tryna play me out, till I actually get to make contact.

Looks like I have some flicking to do!

solid7 said:

It's quite possible that you've just achieved optimum growth.  I'm having a particularly good grow so far, and what few plants I have out, look absolutely stunning.  And I've noticed that the healthier the plants are, the less likely they are to be overrun by nasties.  Bugs seem to love sick plants.  Healthy plants only seem to be opportunistic feeds, in my garden.

Also, if you've done a bunch of companion planting, or added diversity overall, that is another possible explanation.  It's always good to attract as much fauna as possible, when attempting to dissuade pests.
I simply love that notion but I feel % confident that this is not what happened, in my case.

I'm still a knucklehead. My plants have been going thru hell this season, in large part because I'm the one trying to steer this spaceship...

I THINK what happened was, I started everything from seeds and only got a few things from the nursery very late in the game, and I kept the nursery plants in a separate setting while still hardening off. I'm pretty sure I got infested indoors from nursery plants last year and it was a struggle until they were outside ft, at which point the shouldn't natural predators made short work of the aphids.

I'm going to see if they don't sell pterodactyls or someshit on Amazon. I wanna order some eggs, to help keep the danged hornworms in check...

Back