• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

what kind of bulbs should i use?

Yes, and they work perfectly for seedlings. Just be sure to keep them real close to the plant - even touching the leaves will not hurt.

Mike

That is all I use. I do have one grow bulb and one full spectrum bulb in each one. It has worked so far. My Bhuts are 10" tall and looking beautiful...and now starting to bud. I started them back in mid January.

I agree with all of the above and would like to add that they're plenty for covering a minimal surface area (seedlings, small plants and such). the more the merrier.

Well if you use that bulb, it'll be 20W, not 60W.
I'm more of a tube person myself, but I also use CFLs. the ones you should really look into are 75W+, as it will require you to lift it a bit to cover more surface. go with standard tubes... it's cheaper and easier to use.

well i already have a 60w desk lamp; which is y i asked, and my question was directed more towards if that type of bulb would work, and not if it was the appropriate wattage

and i don't really have anything to hang lights from...unless i reorganized my closet and put the plants in there

//edit//
just had an idea, i got this shelf that sits by my bed...figure i'll just swap it out for the small table i was planning on sitting the plants on.
lightb.jpg

Omri said:
I'm more of a tube person myself, but I also use CFLs. the ones you should really look into are 75W+, as it will require you to lift it a bit to cover more surface. go with standard tubes... it's cheaper and easier to use.

75W+ for CFLs or tubes?
or is it the same?

Minion,

In your drawing a shop light would work great, as it is 4 ft. long and will cover 6-8 inches in width. It would use 80 watts of electricity. You could use four 20-watt CFL bulbs but you would have to space them out and have something to screw them into. Or you could use one 75/80 watt CFL and using Mylar or some other type of reflective material cover about the same area.

Mike

4 ft. long?
they come in any shorter sizes?

the shelf is 22 x 12½
and i only have a lil over 3 ft. of space in the area i was gonna put it in...guess i could move stuff around if i have to

I have a 72 watt 16" power compact light for a small salt water tank I setup that i'm planning on using for my plants once they hatch. It's amazing how much light this thing puts out considering it's size. Each bulb is 36 watt and the total weight is around 6-7 lbs. I think I got the light with bulbs for around $50 used.

Minion §1 said:
4 ft. long?
they come in any shorter sizes?

the shelf is 22 x 12½
and i only have a lil over 3 ft. of space in the area i was gonna put it in...guess i could move stuff around if i have to

Long tubular fluorescent lamps start at 18" and go to 96".

Getting luminaires (fixtures) in other than 48" and 96" is more difficult.....they are not common. Bathroom mirror lights come first to mind for 18" and 24".

Back