• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense What Kind of Habanero Are These?

I found these at an international grocery store. I think they are Red Caribean Habaneros, but I'm not sure. They are hotter than regular habaneros and taste different. I decided to grow them because I really liked them.

6849663651_1be733ce14_b.jpg

Wow those are some nice Habañeros I never had the red ones and I also heard they are the best, that green one looks awesome and the Orange one..well I have millions of those in my Kitchen table, I wouldnt know what the names are but i believe the orange ones are as basic as Orange Habañeros

Wow those are some nice Habañeros I never had the red ones and I also heard they are the best, that green one looks awesome and the Orange one..well I have millions of those in my Kitchen table, I wouldnt know what the names are but i believe the orange ones are as basic as Orange Habañeros

So far they are my favorites. A few of the orange ones are similar to regular habs but are oddly shapped and not as hot as regular habaneros. Some of the other orange ones resemble the red in shape and heat but taste different. They also taste different than the other orange habs that came in this package (which was just labeled habanero, lol). They may be unripened red ones. Some had a yellow color to them too. I think the green ones are also unripe red ones. I love their shape and heat.

Edit: These peppers have so much more heat than the regular orange habs (I've grown those too). They actually are the hottest peppers I've eaten and make the hottest sauce I've made. However, I have never eaten any superhots.

They just look like reds I think. As opposed to Antillais Caribbean.

Oh, I'm not familar with red habaneros. Maybe they are just red habaneros. That's ok though, I love em. I bet I'd love Antillais Caribbean too.

I was thinking regular red habaneros would look like the image bellow. The ones in the pic I took have folds at the top and are larger.
6173891262_72f46d34d4_b.jpg

yeah they look like reg. red habs, the first year I had habs the 6 pack I bought had a mix of orange and reds and if I remember correctly the reds did seem hotter and did taste very slightly different, but then again, I wasn't use to the heat back then.. I just remember they were hotter than the other orange ones around them.. I just figured it was a coincidence....

now if only I could find a store around with with some hot/cool peppers.. that are fresh, I went to go get habs from Shop Rite which usually has some semi fresh pods to make some salsa.. but they were all wrinkly/rubbery from being too old.. they only have them during the summer usually.. and at that time, I have plenty of my own lol

yeah they look like reg. red habs, the first year I had habs the 6 pack I bought had a mix of orange and reds and if I remember correctly the reds did seem hotter and did taste very slightly different, but then again, I wasn't use to the heat back then.. I just remember they were hotter than the other orange ones around them.. I just figured it was a coincidence....

now if only I could find a store around with with some hot/cool peppers.. that are fresh, I went to go get habs from Shop Rite which usually has some semi fresh pods to make some salsa.. but they were all wrinkly/rubbery from being too old.. they only have them during the summer usually.. and at that time, I have plenty of my own lol

I tasted all of them while I was cutting em up for my sauce, lol. They sure are hotter. The flavor is radically different to my taste buds. I was looking for fresh hot peppers that were not the orange habs (I think they taste bad in sauce) and found these guys. They also sell fresh thai peppers at that place. I'm very lucky they are selling this stuff since I ate all my harvest from last season. Thanks for your feedback guys.

try to make friendly with the produce people
they can help get you a look at
and sometimes give you empty box(es)
packaging sometimes has the best info on the produce

oops almost re edited

:shame: t

try to make friendly with the produce people
they can help get you a look at
and sometimes give you empty box(es)
packaging sometimes has the best info on the produce

:far

Heh, they don't speak English very well, but I can try.

Do you have any mexican supermercados in your area?? They always have fresh habs for cheap. Or any freshmarket should have some good ones for you. Fresh markets around me sell habs, and manzenos. If you look around you should be able to find them in the winter. Ones that are fresh that is.

Forgot to add that I ordered some habanero reds from pepperlover. That pepper doesn't look like these other ones I'm growing and looks more like the second pic I posted. So at least I have different peppers :) . pretty confusing, lol.

This is the hab red from pepperlover that shows an image. I can't wait to try it.
http://pepperlover.c...uemart&Itemid=1

Nice, well I never had any other habañero besides the Orange ones, those reds look tasty and I had the Bhut Jolokia and my god you do not want to eat it in one bite :fireball:

Nice, well I never had any other habañero besides the Orange ones, those reds look tasty and I had the Bhut Jolokia and my god you do not want to eat it in one bite :fireball:
I ordered some Bhut Jolokia seeds too. I won't be eating one whole. Just gonna eat a slice. I wanna cross these red habs (whatever kind they are) with the Bhut Jolokias. These red habs are vaguely similar to the Habanero Panamas. However that variety looks like it has the trait I want from them selected better.

At least that trait (the ripples) in this picture of the Habanero Panamas looks more refined:
Habanero-Panama-08.jpg

Edit: Yup, I want Habanero Panamas seeds now, lol. They would be a much better cross for what I want. Some of the pods I've bought and ate look just like that red one on the far left.

I'd have to say they are probably OP'd and are crossed with a few different peppers. I've had the same thing. some where totally orange but of a different shape of a habanero but tasted like a habanero. The other ones that where completely red had the same shape but a completely different taste. I would have to say it's a cross.

I'd have to say they are probably OP'd and are crossed with a few different peppers. I've had the same thing. some where totally orange but of a different shape of a habanero but tasted like a habanero. The other ones that where completely red had the same shape but a completely different taste. I would have to say it's a cross.

I was thinking that's possible. I'm leaning more towards they got crossed. I'll have to post pics when the plants start fruiting. I noticed a different taste with the very deep orange ones vs all the others. The deep orange ones tasted a little a mix of the orange and red and seemed to have the same heat as the reds. I thought (not with certainty) the deep orange ones were unripened red ones. I was eating them raw and comparing the tastes. I also had some regular habs to compare the tastes.

Edit: I classified all the seeds I thought had possible different attributes (taste, color, morphology etc.) There were even some yellow ones in there. One green one had a mix of yellow in it. I germinated the red ones (15 or so of em) because I thought they tasted the best and that the others were just unripened versions of the red. They actually look different than my regular habanero seedlings. Starting to get true leaves too. I'll see what happens. I'll mix the Bhut with a chocolate hab instead since they have those cool ripples I like too. Don't want to mix with a crossed pepper until it's stable.

Do you have any mexican supermercados in your area?? They always have fresh habs for cheap. Or any freshmarket should have some good ones for you. Fresh markets around me sell habs, and manzenos. If you look around you should be able to find them in the winter. Ones that are fresh that is.

sadly nothing that I know of, but then again I haven't looked very hard around here.. I will have to do some good searching, there's gotta be something close by

Back