• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What might this pepper be ??

At long last I'm getting ripe peppers. Super cool to me .... Ok , I have a question about what type of pepper this Red sucker may be. The plant came from CCN and was labeled as a Yellow Scotch Bonnet. Easy to see it's not .... I looked at their site and they do sell Red Scotch Bonnets , but the shape is different from their example. Their Red Bonnets also don't seem to the have same shape as their Yellow Bonnets. At least not in the photo they show. I'll show two pictures, one on the plant and one with them next to some Y. Bonnets on a plate. I did taste one. It was hot .. at least as hot as a Bonnet , but didn't have the flavor/aroma that I think of when I think Scotch Bonnets.It was a little sweet but no fruity over tones.

I know answers will just be a guess . As of now I also know I wouldn't order this plant no matter it is.

Peace & thanks for your feedback,
P. Dreadie

unknowRed.jpg

Bred.jpg

Thanks guys. I agree it looks neat. Have no idea if it is a cross or mixed up label and will never really know. I'm thinking as big as CCN is things almost have to get jacked up sometimes. I'd lean more towards a mislabel ...... I'd think their seed stock has to be pretty right on. You can't sell as much stuff as they do and have a bunch of crossed crap being sent out to customers. People would get vexed and explode on them.

Mojo I'll look at their data and see if they sell anything you named.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I wouldn't rule out a cross, especially since they look very bonnet like. I doubt CCN does all their own seeds saving with the amount of varieties they offer, and everybody makes mistakes.
Just my thoughts

looks like a cross between a scotch bonnet and trinidad scorpion...wow...what a cross that would be...:lol:

POTAWIE I have to agree somewhat. Mistakes are easy to make when you deal with large numbers of plants.

AJ the pods in question , the Red ones .... don't look to Scorpion to me. But they're in front of me . No pimples , no nasty stinger. I've added a photo , seen before. A pepper from last year. This looks a Scorpion x Bonnet. Pimples ... Nasty little stinger ..... dang I got Wood !! ..... sorry

WickedMojo ... yes the shape is close. But I grew the Perfume last year and am now. It's yellow , ( the perfume ) smaller , and very aromatic . This was hot without much aroma.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

ScotchBonneta.jpg

Now there's a bonnet. Looks exactly like some Scotch bonnet TFM pod I grew a few years back. You gotta love the little "barbs" or studs on them :)

POTAWIE .... that pepper looks like what I ate in Ja. Very much "Tam" shaped with little pimples or what ever you want to call them. Peppers did vary from different areas in the country side. But the nice ones seemed to be close .....

I've heard a lot about the TFM peppers. I was given two seeds so maybe next year I'll have a plant to play with.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I looked at the Bishop's Crown on CCN's site. They sure look the same , but the description on the heat doesn't match. These are hot.

"BISHOPS CROWN - medium; Andean Aji Type; 1 to 1.5 inches long by 2 to 2.5 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from light green to orange to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 30 to 36 inches tall; Very Late Season; Uses: Unusually Shaped Fruit, Prolific; from Barbados; also known as Peri-Peri; C.baccatuum. "

Peace,
P. Dreadie

To be honest they don't look much at all like bishops crown which are Baccatums and are quite unique looking.

This link will show you a lot of different names and pics for the same variety all of which are PI 497974
http://thechileman.org/results.php?find=PI+497974&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1

Back