• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What Pepper is this and How Can It!?

So Every Day I eat about 2-3 Habañeros and Today My Brother in Laws Mom Brought Us This Peppers, Im Not Sure What they are but as Im assuming they Could Not be Hotter than an Habañero but as I Ate it, I couldnt Contain my self Got a Headache, My Mouth and Toungue got Numb and Pulsated then as the pepper hit my stomach it Rocked the Fn Out of it, an I almost Threw Up, How can this pepper be hotter than the Orange Habañeros
This is the Pepper
2012-02-02162835.jpg

Different kind of capsaicin compounds produce different kinds of burns. I would hazard a guess that these are lower shu than habs but light you up in the right places so to speak. Nice looking chillis!

cayenne, would be my guess. you are used to the orange had and like Nova said, each pepper will hit you just al ittle diffeerent.

I guess this one Hit me pretty Hard, and Thanks for the Name, also Ive been looking for the Red Habs. I know they are hotter, but for now there is a couple of Ghost Peppers on there way from Amazon, Me and My Sister gana try the Ghost Pepper Challenge

I guess this one Hit me pretty Hard, and Thanks for the Name, also Ive been looking for the Red Habs. I know they are hotter, but for now there is a couple of Ghost Peppers on there way from Amazon, Me and My Sister gana try the Ghost Pepper Challenge

If you think those Cayennes are hot you're in for a treat with the Bhut! lol

Hows your plants doing?

I know, well ive been eating Habaneros to raise my tolerance for the Ghost Peppers and My Plants are Ok 1 Ghost Pepper, 2 Choc. Habs and a Monkey face came up already waiting on many more to come up still

You will find also that many of the store bought habs will be less picante than home grown. They select for production not necessarily heat.

Looks like one of the larger Thia peppers to me, like Nova said different cap compounds hit different people differently. btw, I have seen
ratings of Thai peppers that listed it as 100,000 shu, which is a helluva wallop in a quick burst of cap!

I agree with Tigahb... they look like Thai peppers to me. I've heard Thais pack quite a punch too, although they are rated a lower heat level than habaneros on the scoville scale.

Well I have never felt like this before, and I have ate many types and many peppers, Im eating lots and lots of peppers to get my tolerance up but this hit me by surprice, sense I can eat Habañeros like nothing, I just ate this one like it was candy.... To my Surprice it almost made me throw it up and gave me the Hiccups

Well i have chile de arbol and they are very different specially in the size this ones are huge but thinking of the millions of pepper types i guess its hard to guess just with a picture

Looks like one of the larger Thia peppers to me, like Nova said different cap compounds hit different people differently. btw, I have seen
ratings of Thai peppers that listed it as 100,000 shu, which is a helluva wallop in a quick burst of cap!

I grow both Thai and cayenne peppers. These peppers are far too long and wide to be Thai peppers! These peppers are also more wrinkly, have a different stem, and curl too much to be Thai. The Thai peppers are hotter and pack a great punch. These peppers have all the characteristics of a cayenne pepper.

Edit: I'm not sure how they can be hotter than an orange habanero. Even the Thai peppers are not as hot as orange habaneros. Arbols look similar too, but they barely pack heat.

http://www.google.co...Q9QEwBA&dur=140

I'm pretty sure they're Chile de Arbol as was mentioned earlier...by IJ They can be pretty hot, especially fresh.

Hmm, arbols range from 15,000 - 30,000 Scoville units whereas cayennes range from 30,000 - 50,000 Scoville units. I also think cayennes are hotter than arbols from simply eating them. I think the arbols are very weak, but I eat very hot peppers. I think they are cayennes. However, the two peppers look very similar and I could be wrong.

Edit: They look different than the ones I grow. Two things distinguish the cayennes from the arbols. The cayennes I grow have more wrinkles and are wider. I think they are arbols now.

Hmm, arbols range from 15,000 - 30,000 Scoville units whereas cayennes range from 30,000 - 50,000 Scoville units. I also think cayennes are hotter than arbols from simply eating them. I think the arbols are very weak, but I eat very hot peppers. I think they are cayennes. However, the two peppers look very similar and I could be wrong.

Edit: They look different than the ones I grow. Two things distinguish the cayennes from the arbols. The cayennes I grow have more wrinkles and are wider. I think they are arbols now.
I don't get hung up on the scoville scale...Some sites list pequins at 30-60 thousand scovilles, but I've had some that will set your whole face on fire. You grow the right chili in the right conditions and BAM! It'll sucker punch you! Plus different peppers=different burns. Some are really hot, but build nice and slow while others seem to hit so fast that your tongue melts right out the gate!

I've seen/had arbols that were small (2") that weren't that hot, I think they were numex, and I've had arbols from a local Mexican grocer that were longer and rivaled my thai and Indian chiles. I've made salsa from these arbols that seemed hotter than salsa I made from habaneros, sooooo they can definitely affect people differently. Still not saying these are definitely de arbol by any means, just a guess.

Process of elimination...
The stem caps are slightly different than Thai and cayenne...so only about 900 similar varieties to eliminate...
cayenne:
http://www.goodearthliveherbs.com/cayenne-hot-pepper-live-vegetable-plants/vegetable_cayenne_hot_pepper_plant.jpg
Thai:
http://iheartfood-dc.tezini.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/thai-chili-peppers.jpg
although in some thai photos they appear similar...

Back