• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What Pepper is used for Chinese Hot Chile Oil?

Chinese restaurants usually offer Hot Chile oil as a condiment. I was curious as to the type of pepper used in the infusion.

My guess would be the dried ones ya get from the Asian market, not sure what kind, but i do have a few seeds germinating from a bag I bought a while ago, kinda curious what will turn up.

Many different oils with different chiles in them. make your own with your favorite chiles.

Post is moved to the proper forum/section.

i bought a chili oil in a local grocery store and had to quit cooking with it, though it was hot it cause my stomach to buck, almost like i was going to throw up but without the throat regurgitation action - seemed contained to my stomach, definitely didn't like the feeling. i used it for stir-frying. the product was from thailand.

I always ask for the hot chili oil when I order chinese food too. It's really good.
Would be cool to have the recipe.

Chi Chien(or sometimes pronounced "Thien")from what i know is there first choice and sometimes they use Thai Red and in a pinch maybe even Japanese Chilethey are all similar to one another
they use these whole in many dishes such as Hunan
they will all work well in Chinese cooking and they use dried peppers almost exclusively

have friends who are Chinese and used to own a restaurant

hope this helps thanks your friend Joe

i bought a chili oil in a local grocery store and had to quit cooking with it, though it was hot it cause my stomach to buck, almost like i was going to throw up but without the throat regurgitation action - seemed contained to my stomach, definitely didn't like the feeling. i used it for stir-frying. the product was from thailand.

Good to know, I guess I'll keep my distance.
I don’t mind torching the mouth and tongue up a bit, but I don’t want to mess with the stomic!!

Good to know, I guess I'll keep my distance.
I don’t mind torching the mouth and tongue up a bit, but I don’t want to mess with the stomic!!
I use the stuff all the time and it has never had any adverse effects on my stomach. Of course, that's not to say that it doesn't affect others in that way but personally, I reckon it's at least worth giving it a burl!

I have a bottle of chile oil that I refresh periodically with more toasted sesame oil and dried chiles and have had it for quite a while in the cupboard. Nothing cooked just oil and dried peppers. Never thought there'd be a problem combining the two or is there?

I make a hot oil using goat weed, olive oil and garlic. Before adding the oil i cure the pepper with salt to prevent Botulism. So i was told by the guy who gave me the recipe. Oils needs to be kept away somewhere dark when not in use.

Back