• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What pepper plants will grow large like a hedge/shrub?

Hi all,

Still learning my way around the pepper world and enjoying my education here.

I am trying to find a couple style of peppers that will grow large, high, wide, etc.
I have some spots along my fence that need to be filled in, and been thinking about
trying some pepper plants to fit the bill.

If you have any recommendations, and/or photos to share.. would much appreciate it.
Anyone willing to share some seeds of these types with a SASE, please send me a PM.
I do not have pepper seeds to share, but I do have a nice assortment of heirloom
tomato seeds to share in return if you would like.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Realized that I might of posted this in wrong forum.
If it needs to be moved, please do so. Thanks.

Rocoto,Chiletepin and also Habanero De Arbol (aka TREE HAB)
hope this helps
thanks your friend Joe

Tabasco, those puppies get real big in the ground and are very purty whwn loaded with pods.

I have also heard several folks say that Aji Lemon Drop get nice and tall, too. A fellow THP member from Michigan I chat with said that his plants grew about 5 feet tall. Maybe they would grow tall in Texas, but maybe they like it a little cooler like we have here in Michigan? Hope this helps pique your interest in another cool variety that is tasty and pretty, especially with the purple & white flowers.

Good luck!
Karl

I have also heard several folks say that Aji Lemon Drop get nice and tall, too. A fellow THP member from Michigan I chat with said that his plants grew about 5 feet tall. Maybe they would grow tall in Texas, but maybe they like it a little cooler like we have here in Michigan? Hope this helps pique your interest in another cool variety that is tasty and pretty, especially with the purple & white flowers.

Good luck!
Karl
yes many aji do get quite large, my aji yellow are always the big boys on the block but not this year my rocoto was
thanks Joe

Thanks everyone for the tips. Going to try to source some of these.
A couple mentioned I already have in the works being sent. Thanks again.

C.Pubescens can be grown like they do grape vines.
Train the main branches to grow outward aver a fence or whatever.

Scroll down.

http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/

In places with warmer winters like here in S.Ca. they grow year round.
Pick pods from early spring until early mid winter.

Given time and room for a large root ball, most chiles with which I am familiar (not including dwarf varieties) grow quite large, ie, over 5' tall and with 3-4' crowns.

Given time and room for a large root ball, most chiles with which I am familiar (not including dwarf varieties) grow quite large, ie, over 5' tall and with 3-4' crowns.

totally agree

Thanks Joe. I'm in the same boat as all the other Texans on here with the extreme summer heat we had. Didn't get much in the spring, but now the plants are loaded, especially the Aji Yellow. Hoping I can get some ripe pods before we get a freeze. Had to cover up stuff last week, had a light frost, got down to 35. Too close for comfort there.

Back