• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What peppers can't you find in your area?

I'm wondering what pepper varieties people have trouble finding in their regions- particularly interested in the Northeast- I'm a market grower in Ontario.

Any varieties you would really like to see available? Any suggestions on specialty varieties the uninitiated might go gaga over after trying once?

Particular interested in varieties that taste better fresh since I grow for the fresh market.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

very few superhots. the hottest ive seen around as far as seed packets go is regular orange habanero. most people have never heard of jolokias or the many other varieties that come from the caribbean. most people grow hybrid jalapenos, serranos at the hottest. in the nurseries you can sometimes find some of the red habanero types but those are a real rarity

I agree, very few superhots. Rural small town Minnesota has jalapenos, serranos sometimes, anaheims rarely, pasilla rarely. You must travel 30 miles or more to find a store that carries habaneros at all. It's possible that larger towns have a better selection available. Minnesota does have a multicultural population but it hasn't totally transfered to peppers available fresh.

I'm hoping to become a market gardener in Ontario too and I'll be likely growing mostly mild to medium peppers including a lot of different colored jalapenos and Anaheims, and also ripe poblanos which are impossible to find up here. I've also been getting asked a lot lately about Scotch bonnet peppers so I'll probably grow a pile of these too

I can get Jalapenos always, habs sometimes, and poblanos or serranos rarely. Other than that I've never seen a hot pepper in WV at a store.

Down here in florida we seem to always have a full selction of peppers< habanero, jalapeno, poblano, bannana, serrano, cubanelle,finger hotz,anaheim. those we always have others are just a dream.:)

Pepper selection in my area sucks! You'd think with all the hype of Trader Joe's they'd have a nice selection but they don't even carry them... at all! They're produce sucks, meat selection too. I think the hype is over the pre-packaged stuff they have that they make themselves, which I don't buy.

try living in the uk! The main choices we have are unnamed and are sold are red, green or finger chillies but tesco (a large supermarket) do stock dorsets when in season and odd places have bonnets that ain't really bonnets! No habs at all

Pepper Grower said:
Any varieties you would really like to see available? Any suggestions on specialty varieties the uninitiated might go gaga over after trying once?

Rocoto/Manzano. I have yet to find a fresh one here in VA.

It would probably be easier to ask what can you find in your area then ask, if you could have an option to purchase an alternate pepper what would it be? Ask for 3 options, this way you could see if any of the asked variety would produce in your area, with a short seed to store shelf. No sense growing Tepins when it can take up to 200 days to ripen.

I have hit every produce market in Calgary and all I can find are Orange Habaneros($8.99/lb), Jalapeno($5.49/b), Serano, Thai, some are just labeled assorted hot peppers and others just chilis. Dried Anahiem are available.
There is a green house in Airdrie, AB, that does a good job of producing hot peppers, consistant in size(4-5inches) and packaged in a container of 6. ($4.99).

If I had a choice, I think I would like to try Fatali, Rocoto and Bulgarian Carrot but only based on what I have read. I heard Datil are tasty.

agree with Dave 100%
here in scotland, most of the pods are generic & not specified by variety which i find strange, (except scotch bonnet, which could be crosses).
never seen bhuts or nagas either despite looking regularly, but i've read elsewhere that they're not up to much anyway when available.
a lot of the larger generic supermarket chillies resemble jalapenos/fresnos.

I have a couple of local grocery store chains here that charge outrageous amounts of money ($9.99lb) for orange habs and Caribbean reds. I have an idea of going to them and seeing if they would be interested in buying Fataliis and Nagas from me next year for their stores. If they say yes I would have to grow LOTS.

Our local stores typically have Jalapenos at $0.69lb, anaheims banana & serranos @ $0.99lb, habs and scotch bonnets $3.99lb, and manzano for $6.99lb. And this is at just about any grocery store. And there is one place that sells pequins and tepins for $21.99lb.

rds040800 said:
Our local stores typically have Jalapenos at $0.69lb, anaheims banana & serranos @ $0.99lb, habs and scotch bonnets $3.99lb, and manzano for $6.99lb. And this is at just about any grocery store. And there is one place that sells pequins and tepins for $21.99lb.

How's availability on those during this time of year D? Here you are lucky to get jalepenos and serranos (1.99 and 2.48 per lb). Sucks bigtime.

Pepper Grower said:
I'm wondering what pepper varieties people have trouble finding in their regions- particularly interested in the Northeast- I'm a market grower in Ontario.

Particular interested in varieties that taste better fresh since I grow for the fresh market.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Where are you from. I grow my own but it'd be cool to see different thai types, Bhut jolokias, different habs, fatalis.:)

JohnJBurfurkle said:
How's availability on those during this time of year D? Here you are lucky to get jalepenos and serranos (1.99 and 2.48 per lb). Sucks bigtime.

All are available year round and in plentiful supply except for the manzanos being available from around Aug to November.

I certainly wouldn't grow a lot of super-hotties to sell in Ontario. Even if they are a rare find, they likely won't sell in quantity unless you meet some sauce makers or specialty restaurant owners and even they are probably quite specific in their needs.
I've grown many super-hotties in the last 5 years and I usually have to nearly give my extra frsh pods away or dry and sell them as powders

Burning Colon said:
No sense growing Tepins when it can take up to 200 days to ripen.

I don't know where you are getting your tepin information, but tepins produce ripe fruit for me in 100-120 days in hydro.

Back