What percentage of your sales are the following

with your sauces. If you could just give an approximate guess that would be great.

1- super hot- ghost and above
2- hot- being a habanero level heat
3- medium
4- mild

Thanks !

SavinaRed said:
with your sauces. If you could just give an approximate guess that would be great.

1- super hot- ghost and above 5 out of 104
2- hot- being a habanero level heat
3- medium
4- mild

Thanks !
For the fresh salsa-
1- super hot- ghost and above--- 5 out of 105
2- hot- being a habanero level heat--- 25%
3- medium---50%
4- mild---25%

For the hot sauces-
1- super hot- ghost and above ---10%
2- hot- being a habanero level heat---50%
3- medium---30%
4- mild ---10%

My sauces sell about equally.

1. More people can handle mild, wider customer base
2. Those who can handle hotter buy/use more sauce.

A better question might be "what % of your customers purchase" those heat levels.

For me it's
60% mild
25% med-hot
15% extra hot

I don't have an XXX (yet) but from everything I've read it's about 3% of spicy food consumers.

Note: not 3% of the population - only about 30-40% of the population eats spicy food. 3% of those people. About 1% of the population.

think about it.  We are on a Hot Pepper forum, Most of the people here are chile afficionados in some way/shape/form.  Those that seek out a chile forum are "not Normal" 

JoeBlow consumers are mild/medium for 75%. 

When selling at a FM (depending on your product for sale)  the products need to be milder.
When selling OL- the market may be hotter chileheads. 

LDHS, I and others try to say a difference of heat levels for chileheads and Others.  For Chileheads, XX sauce may be 5/10, but for regular folks the sauce would be 8/10. 

Chileheads need to take into consideration what any given business may be posting in regards to the GenPop when they state a heat level.  MarieSharps and Melinda's have been around for a long time since back in the the day when Red Savinas were the hottest in the world.  So their 8/10 for a habanero hot sauce might not be current.  :shrug:

Well said - it's one of my biggest pet peeves with reviewers.

You get someone who snacks on raw Bhut pods reviewing your "xhot" and they give it a 3/10 with 8/10 flavor.

Nice that they recognize flavor but at the point that you're pouring milk on t.scorps and calling it breakfast cereal you're simply not qualified to properly evaluate heat for the average consumer.

No offense intended to reviewers of course - I appreciate anyone taking the time to review my products - and some do come out and say "I'm not normal, so to me the heat is mild". But the ones who gargle with After Deatb in the mornings as mouthwash? Yeah - thanks for telling people my Black Label is a 1/10 on heat. :rolleyes:

Yes LD those are the extreme folks who can accomplish such feats and are in the .001 % of the population lol. But for the average person who likes hot sauce it would most likely be a 8 or 9 out of 10 for heat.

D3monic said:
Get the pink and black labels for sure. I can eat it on anything. Pink on some pulled pork, wings or carnitas, black or pink on pizza ect. They are pretty much limitless. Red on the other hand has a distinct flavor and has a more limited food base that it tastes appropriate on. 
Interesting - I always felt the Red was the most versatile of the lineup. Indian, Greek, middle eastern, pizza, Asian foods, etc.

But so long as I've got some you like I'm happy.
:cheers:

grantmichaels said:

I feel covered on powder, no doubt.

I ordered H21's mop sauce and rub, and I ordered for the first time from SL, too ...

I'll get some LDHS next ... even though I don't know what I'll eat it on besides eggs ...
Wing sauce, burgers, pulled pork and if you need other ideas I can share the photos ;)

When I was looking back for that old Fusion TD the other day, I ran into the early days of the JHP thread ...

I was planning to give you shit for STILL not hooking us up w/ your wife's slaw recipe for pullled pork sammie's, but upon re-reading the thread I didn't really ask, I guess ...

It's funny, because later in the thread I cracked jokes about your holding out on dropping the slaw recipe, but in fact, I never asked in the first place ...

I guess that inside joke's been VERY inside ... inside my head, inside ...

Anyways, I saw lots of LDHS in the pics ... and since your sauce was good, and you like his, I guess it's time ...

grantmichaels said:
When I was looking back for that old Fusion TD the other day, I ran into the early days of the JHP thread ...

I was planning to give you shit for STILL not hooking us up w/ your wife's slaw recipe for pullled pork sammie's, but upon re-reading the thread I didn't really ask, I guess ...

It's funny, because later in the thread I cracked jokes about your holding out on dropping the slaw recipe, but in fact, I never asked in the first place ...

I guess that inside joke's been VERY inside ... inside my head, inside ...

Anyways, I saw lots of LDHS in the pics ... and since your sauce was good, and you like his, I guess it's time ...
The slaw recipe is in a TD thread....

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47949-begin-where-theres-smoke-theres-tapas-throwdown/page-4#entry1016662

Back