• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What plant defeats you?

@hooda try ignoring your basil, it likes the abuse. It really is like a weed; poor soil and infrequent water gives me good results. Too much water or nitrogen seems to choke it out. Also high N soil will give you bitter leaves.

@hooda try ignoring your basil, it likes the abuse. It really is like a weed; poor soil and infrequent water gives me good results. Too much water or nitrogen seems to choke it out. Also high N soil will give you bitter leaves.
Thanks though I think now I have given u completely with sweet basil, my Thai basil is three feet tall and just as good, and it doesn't die, so I'll stick with that one. Well at least for now lol

roses :( i refuse to use chemicals, and i haven't found a perfect spot for them. i will win... one day, even it it take my whole life and a new house/yard

The bhut jolokia has never successfully grown in my garden. I start them well indoors, they get hardened off and grow real strong but 1 of my dogs always finds a way to eat it before it ever produces a single flower. 3 years running now and that is her favorite pepper plant to eat. She may nibble on leaves of the other varieties but she will devour an entire ghost right behind my back.... Needless to Say I have finally put a 6 foot fence around my garden and chicken wire around the table I use when hardening my plants; it wasn't soon enough though no ghost pepper this year :cry: . She also enjoys eating fresh ghost chilies, I think shes broken

Apparently this year peppers will defeat me. I got hit with armyworms, rabbits, slugs, snails, then just now I got a dozen plants that are hit hard by mites. I sprayed with a soap spray... and all the peppers dropped all their leaves. Then today I find Japanese beetles. I can't seem to win
All the plants I grew from seed seem to be hit hard, and the plants I got from Cross Country Nurseries seem to be less than desirable. Of all of all of those plants I got, only two seem to be thriving with the rest of my peppers. Its pretty late in the season now for any success I'm fearing.
Grrr.

Apparently this year peppers will defeat me. I got hit with armyworms, rabbits, slugs, snails, then just now I got a dozen plants that are hit hard by mites. I sprayed with a soap spray... and all the peppers dropped all their leaves. Then today I find Japanese beetles. I can't seem to win
All the plants I grew from seed seem to be hit hard, and the plants I got from Cross Country Nurseries seem to be less than desirable. Of all of all of those plants I got, only two seem to be thriving with the rest of my peppers. Its pretty late in the season now for any success I'm fearing.
Grrr.

Maaate, that sucks! But I feel your pain. Here I got possums, fruit fly, broad mite, curl grubs, and in the cooler months, whitefly, spider mite and aphids. Thanks to fruit fly alone, I lost roughly 3/4 (or more even!) of my pickings last season. :(

If we just keep plugging away at it, we're bound to get somewhere, right....?

Anything in the brassica family.

First the cabbage white buttlefly comes in and does it's carnage, hard to spot those little catapillers until they have ate the top where all the new growth is coming from. Then we have a freak warm spell in autum, causes many to bolt. Lastly the final nail in the coffin, as harvest time gets closer and closer the possums come along and take what's left.

For the life of me, I can never get pumpkins to grow. Lots of vines, even fruit, but they never seem to get very big or past the green stage.

(Mmm . . . rabbit.)

I'd love to be overrun with (especially Mediterranean) herbs. Ever try parsley from seed? Oregano? Little luck, so far. (Bit more progress with basils and thymes.)

(Mmm . . . rabbit.)

I'd love to be overrun with (especially Mediterranean) herbs. Ever try parsley from seed? Oregano? Little luck, so far. (Bit more progress with basils and thymes.)
Start the oregano and parsley on a sponge.....ummmmm....just like the planets most popular herb ( currently illegal)

This year it has been the basils... even the Thai are looking sad. Well, okay, my Lemon basil is going nuts, but other than that...

Deer also keep mowing down my squash and cucumbers. They don't touch the fruit, just the leaves. Bugs the hell out of me. I've been spraying them with a superhot solution and that seems to have stopped it, but it's still annoying to need to reapply every so often...

Squash. Vine borer destroys my plants every year, without fail. Only thing I can think of is to soak the roots/main stem in Sevin, but the plant might draw it into the fruit.

Lettuce or any cool season vegetable. The weather here goes from too cold to too hot in about two weeks it seems so it always bolts. I saw a lady with an 8lb head of cabbage last weekend at a farmers market, so I can't blame all my problems on the weather. That cheered me up lol

I'd just like to say that I was wrong. My zucchini and squash plants were on death's doorstep, then the vine borer just suddenly disappeared. Guess they finished reproducing for the season? Anyways, I've got 3 plants left that somehow draw enough water through their remaining stems to not only survive but thrive. I'm getting a couple squash/zucchini per week again :D.

Back