• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container What Size container should I use?

Chili Monsta said:
After a life time of traditional gardening I now grow exclusively in 5 gallon containers. When I first began my transition to containers, I did a lot of experimenting and observing the outcome.
My experience is that when I skip the intermediate pot, the plant seems to go into a dormant state for a significant period of time. While those in the smaller pots begin to flourish and many time even have started to set buds by the time I move them up to the permanent 5 gal. container.
They quickly overtake the "seedling-to- large container" plants and grow larger and more fruitful throughout the growing season.

Granted, planting up to an intermediate pot does require the extra step and involve additional effort, but the added expense for me is minimal since I reuse my pots and growing medium. And I simply see better results at seasons end.
That's not to say I don't occasionally get busy and behind schedule and plant a few directly into the large container. But when I do so, I always regret it afterwards because they are behind in development all season and never catch up.
CM
The extra step is worth it for me. You can cut costs all different ways. I used to start chinense in zone 5b mid-january and now I am sowing in March with similar or better yields by seasons end. Costs cut in lighting,ferts,and medium. Down to one intermediate pot up.

OKGrowin said:
i put 50 plants from solo cups directly into viagrow 5 gallon grow bags with all the soil, otherwise you shock them every time you transplant etc etc, better to just go for the final container now(in my opinion).
IMG_20140407_131917.jpg

IMG_20140407_131222.jpg

IMG_20140405_125613.jpg

here they are now, if you're worried they'll mess up or something(don't mind the 3 gals on the left i planted last month)
IMG_0123.JPG
Nice plants. With a root system like that,going from solo cup to 10g or even 15g is no problem. Going from 72 cell starter size to 10g would be a different story.
geeme said:
The only real reason to go to an intermediate size pots is because of your personal limitations
Ugh.

After reading some comments here this morning, during lunch I ran by a local greenhouse who's 84 year old owner I've known for many years and go to for various plants and advice from time to time.

When I posed the question about "potting up"....he first corrected me and referred to the practice as "potting on".

He explained that potting the "plants on" two or three times, promotes better growth.because as primary roots hit the pot sides, the plant will respond by sending out lateral side roots, generating a healthier root ball.
He went on to tell me that since I grow my peppers and tomatoes in containers,he highly recommended that I "plant on" at least twice before going to the final pot, because doing so would result in additional root endings which would take in increased amount of nutrients,and oxygen over the life if the plant.
CM

My process for the past 3 years has been as follows:

Germination
I start seeds indoors in my own sterlised potting soil mix in peat trays.  The trays are set on rooting heat mats inside of plastic propagators.  Such as it is until the hooks are up and have their first set of true leaves started.

Transplant #1
Seedlings are broken out of their peat trays (usually peeling off the excess tray) but maintaining as much soil from the tray as possible.  The exception to this is when I need to float-separate two hooks from the same cell.  In any case, seedlings are transplanted to 4" pots in a loose-mix potting soil that goes a little bit heavier on the perlite than regular potting mix.  Seedlings are put under T8 lighting on the enclosed back porch until the plants have 3-4 sets of true leaves and the roots are easily visible along the outside of the soil mass when the pots are removed.  Seedlings are watered about every other day.

Transplant #2
Seedlings are removed from their 4" pots and potted-up/on to a 7" pot using a potting soil mix that has a larger component of compost and worm castings.  Care includes a weekly soil drench with AACT and dilute Epsom salts.  In most cases the plants are still under T8 lighting, but hardening off begins shortly.  Plant out when conditions are appropriate.

The main reason I go with the pot-up/on route is that I germinate more plants than I can keep as a hedge against low germination rates for certain varieties.  I usually give away plants at both 4" and 7" stages to friends, family and THP community in my area.

The secondary reason is to promote a dense root mass before planting out.  In Florida I just can't sow seeds in the ground outdoors and expect much of anything to germinate.  Too many pests, too much torrential rain, extreme sun intensity, etc. all lend themselves to a more controlled early stage for raising a pepper crop.

I go from coir plugs to 3 inch (one pint) pots to 5 gallon buckets, or into the ground.

I notice that plants in the 5 gallon buckets develop more quickly than those in the ground, probably because of; 1) better 'soil' in the buckets, 2) the in-ground plants are taking more time and energy developing more roots that the bucket plants.

Howerver, by late summer, the in-ground plants have been twice the size of the bucket plants.

Very interesting. Looks like the jury is split. After reading through the various posts, I think I will try a test once the new season rolls around and see what my results will be. [member='Pr0digal_son'] and [member='Chili Monsta'] have brought up great points. 

[member='OKGrowin']'s second pic where you see the root ball is generally what my plants look like when I pot them up.

Anyway, OP, you have heard it all. Now it is up to you ;-D

Well, I think there are involved more variables, and for each of us they are different - even if we speak about the same person doing the experiment this year and repeating next year, the results can be different, because counts the weather, the fertilizer, the ground, the pests, I think even the seeds counts, etc, etc.

Well, I think there are involved more variables, and for each of us they are different - even if we speak about the same person doing the experiment this year and repeating next year, the results can be different, because counts the weather, the fertilizer, the ground, the pests, I think even the seeds counts, etc, etc.

Right, but what matters is the individual results we get. I think there have been some pretty good illustrations of that here.

Btw, off topic lol but didn't I send you some seeds? How are they doing?

filmost said:
Right, but what matters is the individual results we get. I think there have been some pretty good illustrations of that here.

Btw, off topic lol but didn't I send you some seeds? How are they doing?
Yes, but they are individual results, this is why we have opposite results.

You sent me no seeds, but if you wanna send some, will be welcome and proper used! Shall I PM my address?????

OK I think I'm going to go straight to the 5 gallons and see how that works out for me. I have about a dozen 1 gallon grow bags maybe I'll put a few in them and see how they do.  Thanks for all of the advise.

Back