• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container What size containers do you use?

So many factors ride on what size container to use.
Simple thing to consider: how much oxygen do you have at the root zone?
Go from there.
What impacts oxygen at the roots?  Temp, humidity, media, watering.  That's a starter.  Knowing your conditions goes a long way towards helping find that optimal size for YOUR specific area.
Neither bigger or smaller is better, nor worse.  Each has pros/cons, depending on a slough of other parameters.
5 gallon containers work fine, generally speaking.  But the question can only be answered generally, given no other details. (type of pepper, when you start, what kind of harvest you expect, whether or not they OW, etc, etc, etc...)
I would strongly recommend that you check with growers in your area, local extension office, nurseries, etc. 

I use dutch bucket 14 litre ( 3.7 gal) fill with perlite. 
It's work for me.

Huhtf0z.jpg

+1 Solid 7.

I grow in everything from 2-20 gallons, sometimes multiple
plants in the big ones. When growing multiples of a variety
for stabilizing a hybrid, 2-gals work great, can have many
pots easy to move around. You can grow a pretty good
size plant in a 3-gallon pot. 5-7 gallons is a pretty good
middle of the road general use size.

One caveat: The smaller the container, the more attention
needs to be paid to watering and nutrient schedules.

Also, keep in mind that when it comes to nursery pots,
the gallons are 'trade gallons', that is, .75 gal. So, a
five gallon nursery pot actually contains 3.75 U.S. gallons
of soil.

PaulG said:
Also, keep in mind that when it comes to nursery pots,
the gallons are 'trade gallons', that is, .75 gal. So, a
five gallon nursery pot actually contains 3.75 U.S. gallons
of soil.

Yeah, the 'gallon' listing is a bit of a misnomer...  It's actually "number 5" nursery pot.  Somehow, people took "gallon" and ran with it.  I believe that it might have supposed to have made sense, at some point in time...  But now, ya jest gotta know.
And to make matters worse...  There is NO standard.  So your 3.75 might or might not be accurate, depending on who makes them.  To the credit of some, there are a couple manufacturers who do produce a "true gallon" line of containers.  And that's helpful.
Gotta love it. 

solid7 said:
Yeah, the 'gallon' listing is a bit of a misnomer...  It's actually "number 5" nursery pot.  Somehow, people took "gallon" and ran with it.  I believe that it might have supposed to have made sense, at some point in time...  But now, ya jest gotta know.
And to make matters worse...  There is NO standard.  So your 3.75 might or might not be accurate, depending on who makes them.  To the credit of some, there are a couple manufacturers who do produce a "true gallon" line of containers.  And that's helpful.
Gotta love it.
Yeah, nursery pot sizes have been off for many years.

Proud Marine Dad said:
If you use containers what size of a container do you grow your peppers in? Ive used 5 gallon in the past but I think that's a little small.

My favorite is 5 gallon but I've used smaller.                              

YzljfQk.jpg

20i8

y3urQPj.jpg

8RaWkOi.jpg

_2015

_
muQi1r8.jpg

_

_
jn9ilbI.png

For me my potted plants always suffer. I've grown in 5- 20 gallon fabric pots, but it climate is too hot and dry. I think plastic buckets would work better or a drip system so that I can water several times in a day would help.

Back